Fish Know.?

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

jweb1369

Fish Know.?

by jweb1369

Do fish actually know how to differentiate between people? The reason I ask is because when I walk up to the tank the fish come out, but when other people go close they hide.

gumbii

by gumbii

some do... i know some large fish like oscars and some invertibrae like crawfish/lobsters can...

jweb1369

by jweb1369

That's pretty cool. I read a lot on Mantis shrimps and they have 16 photoreceptors in their eyes, compared to the humans at 3. They can see 100,000 colors as to humans only seeing 10,000. They also can see 2 spectrums of UV light as well as polarized. It really is amazing.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

my platies notice me first, of course they want food, but yes, they aware of your present. as for do they distinguish between me from others, they probably can know the difference between the way I behave around them as opposed to the way others do. when I observe the fish amongst themselves, it is a sure fact that each fish as its own relationship with another fish. for instance, I have 2 red wag platies, the male is constantly protectibg the female, it will chase all the other red platies away, and she loves it, she likes the attention, her tail (like a dog or cat gives off signs as to happy, sad, nervousness, etc, it's amazing if you watch real close)

so my point is, if fish have relationships amongst themselves, I am sure fish have different relationships amongst humans; and like the other member said, fish have extroardinary eyesight, they sense on a different level than humans, different types of fish probably see more than what humans see or sense. people think fish are stupid or like an insect or something; I find just the opposite. fish can make decisions, even abstract ones even of course the decisiions are on a minimal level. for instance, a red platy will watch from the surface two fish at the bottom of the tank, once one of the fish separate from the other fish, the fish at the top of the tank will swoop down behind the fish which is still still and tease it until it runs away.

I read somewhere just recently in the Aquarium Fish International, August 2008 issure, page 29: "researchers at Standford University have shown that African cichlids are capable of using logical reasoning at levels similar to 4- or 5-year old humans to determine social pecking orders."

fish are amazing; there is not one observation yet that I have not learned something new about the fish I keep. I like to walk down a riverbed here in Tulsa with my dogs (both off the leash and no collar), there are so many fish everywhere (sun fish), there are larger fish and tinnie winnie fish, there are frogs and turtles (I've found box turtles, but I always turn them back into the wild); my point is, there is so much life behind the thick of the tree branches, so much life in the rivers, so much interplay amongst these different species, each making decisions as how to survive, how to play with one another, how to live.

in the tank in our homes is a portable way of looking into the mysteries of the oceans/seas, the riverbeds/streams...fish do not talk back like dogs and cats, they are not very demanding creatures, they need fresh water, good food and space to live in, what more can one ask for from such a beautiful species, a species which think, which can reason.

Fishkeepng is a wonderful way to look at the animal kingdom, And I am sure the fish are thankful for the lives they live without being crammed in a fish farm. Each fish one receives is a lucky fish because there are other which become feeder fish or that find homes that are dirty, algae ridden etc. I am most positive that if the fish you have are well taken care of, the fish, in its own way, by greeting you at the tank's edge, is thankful for each helpful nuruting hand it receives.

so yes, fish do think, and we as humans should think very highly of them for this.

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Wow that was about the about the sweetest thing I ever heard. "Take a bow" (BBZZZZZZ!!!!) - Strange Wilderness. Haha, nicely put yasher. This is gonna make me feel worse if one dies. LOL

zambize

by zambize

Yes, my fish know me and they behave differently with me as opposed to my partner or the housekeeper. Although, every time my partner sees a new fish, she grumbles, "Sushi....". Maybe that makes them a little uneasy.

Zambize

jweb1369

by jweb1369

Haha, I just made my first roll of sushi the other day. It wasn't half bad for a first go at it. And it was made out of shrimp not aquarium fish =)

josmoloco

by josmoloco

In my 125 gallon my fish rush to the corner I feed them in when i enter the room. When other people enter they just ignore them.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

This is a great thread. I have 3 fishtanks in my bedroom where I have my computer and a tank on each side of this thing. My gars are always up in the corner next to me watching what I'm doing, and on the other side I have a small female tilapia who feels safe enough to have her fry out and swimming around and not in her mouth.

I know my fish can see me very well and I know they respond favorably to me putting my face really close to the glass and making non-threatning gestures with my eyes and mouth. In terms of a big shadow suddenly walking past the tank, I think I have a way of moving that identifies me so the fish don't freak out. Other people don't have this relationship established and tend to spook the fish.

We had a pretty big earthquake this morning and I was watching my 100 gallon slosh back and forth for about 20 seconds. I'm glad it wasn't the "big one!!!"

jweb1369

by jweb1369

That's cool. Wow earthquakes and fish tanks don't mix.

Fish Know.?

14 posts • Page 1 of 2