bleaching sps

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

makavelithedon963941

bleaching sps

by makavelithedon963941

does anyone know how long it takes to bleach sps? a few months ago i bought some and it was doing great, one actually looked healthier in my tank than it did in the store, but after a month i changed my rockwork and i put my acropora closer to the light, but before i did this a piece of live rock fell on the acro and chipped a little piece off of him. now in its new place its turning white, is this from the accident or is he too close to the light?, its about 5-7" from the surface, the lights are T5 234 watts on a 40 gallon

schigara

by schigara

Is the tissue bleaching or is the tissue coming off?

How many inches was the coral raised?

Have you examined it for nudi's, flat worms and red bugs?

It's not very likely a bit of physical damage would cause all the tissue to bleach.

I would sooner think the change in light intensity could be causing it to expel it's Zooxanthellae.

Has there been any drastic shift in alkalinity? Did the bleaching start and progress from where the damage happened or did it start at the base and work upward?

Any chance of posting a pic?

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

yea, i raised it about 5-7" from where it was, it looks like its bleaching to me, no worms or bugs, no shift in alkalitnity that im aware of, ill test it and find out. its started at the tips and worked down twords the base, i will post a pic but it usually takes a few days to post, this acro will most likly die, but id like to buy more sps for the top shelf i made

schigara

by schigara

Move it back lower in tank and wait to see if color comes back. Quite often they will recover so long as it's not sloughing tissue.

Any chance it's a Seriatapora, Stylophora or Pocillipora? These 3 seem to be very sensitive to changes in light.
Last edited by schigara on Fri May 16, 2008 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

that would be bomb if he survives, thanx for the advise, ill let ya know , and in a day or so check my profile so you can see the pic of it

schigara

by schigara

It may take upwards of a month or more to see if he will fully recover so be patient.

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

i know, only bad things happen quick in this hobby, haha

schigara

by schigara

lol, so true

bleaching sps

8 posts