Blimpie died :(

19 posts • Page 2 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Boss, I've been picking at my brain trying to remember what RO refers to, is it Reverse osmosis? if so most drinking water (aquafina, dasani, etc) is filtered this way. Think its similar to evaporation or something. What exactly is distilled water? Is it just boiled before its packaged? I'll have to give it a try today, and I never add untreated (For chlorine/chloramines) water to my tanks, and furthermore try to avoid adding until about 24 hours after its been treated.
I actually witnessed blimpie eat shortly before I hit the sack yesterday. He finally took a bloodworm, but is still not really eating like normal and still shows signs of heavy stress and aggrivated breathing. Maybe I didn't catch the ich life cycle before it started again fully before I started treatment..
He seems like he may pull through. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I know what you mean about the molting. Shortly after my first few weeks with shrimp my girlfriend turned into regular dead fish alarm. She'd go off just about every time she passed the tank and saw an exoskeleton laying around: "Baby there's a dead shrimp!!!" ..really irritating but she finally understands the difference now. lol I was fooled the first few times myself. It can be really confusing until you have the epiphany that its not the actual shrimp. heheh
Thanks for the tips boss. :)

snowboss

by snowboss

yes RO is reverse osmosis - read the post "bottled water" on the forum front page....schigara really breaks it down nice...................glad to hear the lil fella has eaten something ..............Boss

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

distilled water is water that is heated up to the vaporization temp, which is somewhere around 98-102 i believe i dont remember the exact temp but then the vapors run through coils where they cool and condense, resulting in pure water. the same process is used in making spirits like vodka for example. On the front of the bottle it will say 5x distilled it is their way of bragging about how pure and clean their spirit/booz is when in reality any number of distillation over 3x is pretty much pointless.

a1k8t31524

by a1k8t31524

i use r/o water in my top off tank that i buy from wall-mart but that is only 10 gallons out of 55

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Blimpie!!!!.....Hope-he-pulls-through.....You-could-water-change-with-a-mix-of-tap-water-and-RO-water,-or-as-I-suggested-in-another-post-is-to-get-some-good-spring-water-and-use-this-straight....This-water-should-be-balanced-and-contain-trace-elements-RO-or-distilled-water-doesn't-have.......A-lot-of-tap-water-is-very-alkaline-and-may-be-hard-on-some-fish.......The-different-"spring-waters"-will-range-in-their-trace-element-make-up,-and-may-range-in-pH,-but-I-can't-immagine-the-pH-could-be-as-high-as-most-municipal-water-suppliers-water-is.....Good-luck........Blimbie-sounds-like-quite-the-little-puffer.....PK

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Just wanted to say despite the way this thread started out, Blimpie seems to have made a full recovery.

Thanks for all the tips, Nfo, unnecessary sentiments (I'm a dumbass lol), and support folks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Best-news-you-could-hope-for....Blimpie's-back.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

BLIMPIE RULES !!!!!!!!

feel like an ass all you want man lol.....a total recovery from the brink is worth it for sure ....congrats man

Boss

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Yay! I am also glad to hear that Blimpie is OK! :D HAPPY FACES!

Blimpie died :(

19 posts • Page 2 of 2