overflowbox

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

I'm the smartest moron on the planet..I'm Hungarian by the way.. I travel 12 hours every day to work... There's a crackhead stewardess who sells tickets for dirt cheap...

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lol i install septic systems and i didn't know what ABS was ........i use biodiffusers mostly ....pipe is a thing of the past

gumbii

by gumbii

plumber i see...

i have a question for you...

the protein skimmer base is going to be a black (i guess ABS) 4" toilet flange... but the PVC body is 4" PVC... can i still use PVC cement to glue both of they together... i can use silicone but i like using the PVC cement... it's fumes tickly my brain cell...

lbmash

by lbmash

The toilet flange is also made of pvc, the same cement will be fine

gumbii

by gumbii

but it's black...???

well... i'll see... i'm going to use the cement and seal it off with silicone just in case...

oh... does the PVC cement melt the PVC...??? i know it melts the ABS... i tested it on a piece of ABS... oh well... i trust a strangers judgement... LOL...

lbmash

by lbmash

I would build it all out of pvc and paint the base black if thats the look you want. I dont like to mix plastics etc, but thats just me.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

there are 2 different types of PVC cement...one cleaner/glue together and one primer and glue in seperate containers....i swear by the seperate components myself.....and yes it basically melts the plastic and alows the gluse to make a chemical bond between the 2 pieces of plastic........on pipe you would wipe the primer on then the glue.......put the pieces together and give them about 1/4 turn and hold for 30 seconds or so....this really gives all the surface area a chance to bond ...................but pvc to toilet ring might be a little tough ...i'd still use silicon just in case ..............

And I don't consider myself a plumber....lol more an excavator that installs septic systems as well as other things........lol ....i never mess with the toilets...unless it's my own ..................

Boss

gumbii

by gumbii

oh i see... gross...

anyways... i don't trust paints that are going to go into a reef system... and i ended up going with 1" and 3/4" pvc for my overflows... i'll post up pics in the other forum... they're going to look horrible in my tank but f*ck it... i don't want to jepordize the aquatic fauna and floura for asthetics...

overflowbox

18 posts • Page 2 of 2