using peat moss in a canister filter

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

Just a quick question, i have been told several times i can attain a lower ph value and stabilize the ph in my tank by filtering through peat moss, am wondering if i can put a couple cups of peat moss into a nylon and just add it to one of the middle trays of my canister filter? i really don't want to add it directly to the tank. and i can't put an over the side filter on the tank as it's too close to the wall, (not even He-Man is moving my 125 without draining it completely) lol what do you guys think, i have read the articles and think i should add some to the filter as this will keep the ph at a proper point.

Thanks for help,
Brandon

miami754

by miami754

That should work fine. I have never done it in a canister, but in a HOB you just put some in some nylon and toss it in. I can't see why the same thing wouldn't work in a canister. Peat is definitely a great way to lower and stabalize the pH.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

hey just wanted to say i have one tray in my canister with about 3 1/2 cups of peat moss in a nylon.. the woman at the store looked at me like wtf?!?!?! i had to explain to her the basic principal of using peat moss in a fish tank filter, after that she seemed even more confused, so on the way out i hiked up one of my pant legs and with the loudest lisp and voice asked him if he thinks i will need to shave my legs before putting the nylons on!!!!! she looked like she saw a ghost i almost peed right there on spot laughing from laughing so loud he turned fifteen shades of red. it was awesome!!!!!!!!!

i will keep the post updated with how well it works in the canister. thanks for the help.
Brandon

3 posts