strong salty smell from tank?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

samik

by samik

I have had my tank set up for about 4 months. every thing look good, but i have noticed a strong salty smell. not for sure if it is coming from the filter or striaght off the water. is there any thing i can do besides using air freshener. what might the problem by or is it just a phase???samik

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

do you hae a large filter with sponge in it ...i have a large sponge i my filter and after a while it will give off an odor....i swish it out in the water change water and it goes away...i don't equate the smell to salt though .....more like a light smell of the gunk in the skimmer....if your really smeling salt ...like the ocean.....look for salt creep {dried salt from evaporation} under the hood, in and behind filters etc etc ...it gets everywhere....espesially this time of year when the heat in the house is off for the most part and it gets cool at night warm during the day and the tank is condensating a lot more than normal.....just some thoughts.........I'm assumeing the water parameters are in good shape and you don't have something dead in there or in the filter....a snail, crab, small fish?

Snowboss

angus4481

by angus4481

it might be salt build up under the rim of the trim

samik

by samik

thanks never thought of dried up salt. i will also have to wash out the filter. thanks for the thoughts...samik

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

try using activated reef carbon, it removes odors from all aquarium water

5 posts