Cause of death?

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

miami754

by miami754

I would do more than 10%. Probably more like 25%.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

alright. fingers crossed hope everything works out. 25% water change then slowly added water with the added salt while observing the fish for any signs of stress. so far so good. the temerature is very very slowly climbing to 83 degrees. amazingly after that water change everything is already clearer AND i found what was probably contributing to the nitrates/nitrites whichever...some LOVELY mucousy slimey THING stuck to the bottom of the drift wood. that disgusting thing is gone now. :D

miami754

by miami754

Ok, so I found my notes on the treatment. Raising the temp to 83 will not help you. The parasite lives to 85 degrees. Therefore, you need to at least get it to 86. You need to keep it there for 8-10 days. I would go all 10 just to be sure. Also, I used 3 tablespoons of salt per 5 gallons. Now I was treating ich with cichlids. You need to make sure your specific fish can tolerate that temp and that amount of salt. If they cannot then just do the medication thing.

Also, with that high of temp, you will be reducing the oxygen content in the water severely. Therefore, go out and buy several pumps, airline hose, and bubbling devices to use during this period of time.

There are some variants of the parasite that can live up above 85 degrees and that can live with salt so the method is not fool proof.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

alrighty then. ich medication treatment sounds like it might be easier in my case. however im still unsure that it actually is ich. i'll feel really silly if i go to all this trouble than it actually isnt. better safe than sorry though i guess.

miami754

by miami754

Does it look like little salt crystals on the fins and body of your fish? If so then it is ich.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

that looks like the beginning of the ich infection, usually starts on the fins and works it's way on to the body, if the picture quality was better i would be able to tell, however it appears to be the issue. treat with the rid ich for 48-72 hours, generally the longer you treat for it the better, after the treatment make sure you vacuum your gravel very thoroughly so you suck up any of the remaining parasites that could be hiding down in there. it will be worth the time and effort for such a cute lil guy.

Brandon

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

just checkin in to get an update on the treatment and to see if all is well.
Brandon

Cause of death?

18 posts • Page 2 of 2