Salt in Freshwater?

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

miami754

by miami754

Shep, we appreciate your response, but you need to lay off the rudeness. I have had disagreements with people on here, but both parties handled it very well. You are not the guru on FW fish nor on salt and to pretend like everyone agrees that all tanks should have salt in them is just plain wrong. There is still a great deal of discussion on whether or not salt is needed (we are talking about outside of medical uses).

Welcome to the forum - we are happy to have you, but it would do better in the future to not bash others for having a difference of opinion. Simply state your case, argue your facts, and let the person who started the post decide based upon those arguments. Spongebob gives a lot of good advice and just because you don't agree with something he said does not make his advice worth .02 and yours worth more.

miami754

by miami754

And just to be perfectly clear, there are just two PROVEN ways that salt improves the lives of fish when added in small doses continously. First, it reduces the toxicity of nitrite, but this should not be an issue in a cycled and properly maintained aquarium anyway. And second, it effect upon osmotic regulation. Other than this, there is still alot of debate. Many people attribute magical disease prevention powers and slime coat generating powers to salt (the salt makers themselves love to play these up), but there is still a great deal of debate as to whether salt actually does this. Salt also is not good for many freshwater species (I am not talking about plecos). It is good to read both sides of the story and then decide for yourself if salt is right for you. It is in no way a closed deal that salt is needed at all.

Personally, I don't use salt - but again that is just my personal opinion. I know alot of people that use it and swear by it. I don't really understand them when I try to ask specifics though. They will mention that their fish are never sick and look great. Then I mention that mine are the same and how do they know it is because of salt. There never is an adequate answer to this. I don't like adding extraneous stuff to my tank, but that is just me.

shep1969

by shep1969

miami,

In my first post, I gave the guy very sound advise. Then was told that I was to BOLD in making the statement that is wasnt salt that killed the Pleco, (if he was indeed using the amount of salt he said he was)
Never did I say that "every aquarium" should use salt. Please dont put words in my mouth.
My reply was very much on the topic and withen context of the issue, "Plecos tolerating salt"

I dont understand why you would get off the subject, and bring up "other freshwater species."
Again, The issue was "PLECOS".
If you choose not to use salt and its working for you, Great! However, the fact is that a Pleco will thrive in water with added salt. why? because it is actually closer to there natural habitat...
I was really just trying to help!
You seem like you do your homework, and you know as well as I do that there is alot of bad information online.
I agree that there is a TON of debate in this hobby. I wasnt "pretending" to give advice just to look like I am some FISH GURU.
I have been using salt for years, and it has worked for me.
Im mean come on, The scientists keep debating about the names of species, much less an argument about salt. Im sure you have done things your way a few times too. Funny how all the "experts" say, You cant keep Mbuna with Peacocks..... Ive seen it done, and Im doing now.....
so.........

If I offended anyone, I am sorry.. (but it wasnt salt that killed the Pleco)

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I didn't know the pleco lived in the lower Amazon. That's good to know.

I heard that, though most water conditioner products don't, a product called Jungle Start contains sodium chloride, which is salt.

It's added I believe, or actually was told, as a slime coat protecting/generating substance.

I know that many aquatic plants don't like salt in the water, and I guess it would depend on what kind of plant it is. For me, I add as much salt as my Lilly pad can deal with and it's less than it could be for the fish I have but hopefully enough to ward off infection in my gars.

I suppose the amount of salt you should use depends on what kind of fish and plants you have.

miami754

by miami754

I see your point, but I still think you went a little far in your response to Spongebob. However, let's call all fair and move on.

Also, I don't recall accusing you of saying that salt works for every fish. If I did I apologize. What I do believe I said was that salt doesn't work for everything. I was simply making a statement so if someone came on here, read the posts, and thought salt was the end all, they would stop and make sure their fish could deal with it. While the topic turned out to be about plecos, the original point of the topic was about salt in general. He did ask about the pleco, but that was a subset of the larger questions.

I also never accused you of going off topic so I am not sure where that came from. I said to get your point across in a less rude manner.

And as for why I would get off topic - it only turned into a post about plecos later - that was not the only question in the very beginning.

There are alot of people on here that come for general knowledge. It never hurts to broaden the topic a little. If you do write a rule book on what is allowable - let me know, though.

Again, I had no problem with your advice. It is perfectly sound from the point of view of someone who like using salt. I never accused it of being incorrect - I just said I personally don't believe in using salt. I realize you were just trying to help and I said thank you for the help. I just asked that you offer the help in a little more constructive manner.

Anyway, sorry for the post, but I didn't want to see these posts going nuts again like they were when I first joined. Let's move on and agree to disagree on salt use.

shep1969

by shep1969

Miami,

That sounds good to me........ ;-)

The post above yours, Cant remember your name. Yes, Salt will kill alot of plants. Ive had very limited success with plants in my aquariums because of the amount of salt I use. My fish are all from lake malawi and they are really rock dwellers, I know java fern and java moss are in that lake, but Ive only been able to keep Java fern alive for about 2 months.
Of course i get ripped for putting any type of green in my aquarium on "fanatical Malawi" websites. It all comes down to what you like in the end though.(as long as the fish dont stress because of the environment)
I went to hobby lobby here in Dallas, and got pretty real looking plastic plants.. I like it !!!!
cheers everyone!

Serial324556

by Serial324556

Well this topic got off subject for a while back there!
Anyways I think for now I am going to stay away from the salt. Like I said in a few months i'm most likely going to get a 55gallon and i think then ill just turn my 29 into a brackish tank.

Not sure though still deciding whether i'm going to turn it into a terrarium or not.
My fish are healthy right now and my toadfish seems happy and eats fine.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Right?

Again thanks for all the info and opinions.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

geez i started a small storm here. Anyway, seems to have resolved. Sorry Shep if i came across harsh, didnt mean to. Thanks Miami for understanding my position and explaining it. I was involved in the thread about the other pleco dying, so i figured I would give Serial the heads up is all.

By the way, nice tank Shep... seems like you been in the hobby awhile.

Salt in Freshwater?

18 posts • Page 2 of 2