Hair/brush algae back again! Any new ideas?

20 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

They're in my 35 gallon long planted tank and they've settled in among the 100 or so mixed inch long tilapia and mosquito fish babies. The Gold Algae Eaters are young as well and I'll give them some time. It'll take a reasonable amount of time for fish this size to do much munching. If they do a great job on the algae in this tank, and the tilapia on a diet in my 100 gallon don't take care of their job (they're much bigger and have great gnawing ability), I'll probably get more and set them loose in the 100 gallon. These 2 GAE's were the only algae eaters I could find between 2 great aquarium stores and Petco. Thanks for the recommendation Brandon. I'll post results in a few days.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Dang! I'm trying to just feed the 5 gars, 2 Hydro, and the 3 Florida spotted. I'm trying to make the two tilapia in the big tank hungry so they eat my algae, but they're very aggressive at trying to steal the krill. The FS gars are getting really enthusiastic about taking krill from my fingers and it's wild as they are all vying for position to see who gets the piece. It's like feeding alligators. When they get bigger I'll have to make sure no kids stick their fingers in this tank or they're gona lose them. Seriously, the teeth on these gars are needle sharp and really good at ripping things in half. If one gar has a goldfish in it's mouth another can come up and rip the fish in half without a second rip. They make it look like they're ripping paper in half!

So far the little Gold Algae Eaters are still workig on the algae in the 35 gallon tank. I think they have to get a bit bigger to clean algae quickly.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

yeah the bigger they get the more they will eat, mine are roughly 4 inches or a little bit larger. they do an awesome job. gars are awesome but are just like any pike i have caught in the wild, fierce, ferocious, super sharp teeth and always hungry and willing to eat a finger if given the chance, make sure you get yourself a nice steel or chain mail glove for protection when cleaning the tank as they get bigger and hungrier.
Brandon

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yea, or at least a longer handle for my scraper! I like to tease them and pet them as they are trying to maneuver to a striking position. I still love em though. They're not bullies nor aggressive toward other larger fish. They just have a hunger that's insatiable.

The little GAE's arn't doing much yet. I'll post if they do and I'll probably get some more too when they're avaliable.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Peter, i just came across this little article, ill copy and paste it here:

Brush/Red Algae ( Black-brush algae) has been known to thrive in both, acidic and alkaline waters. In hard waters it will form lime tissue (biogenic decalcification) which makes it harder to be eaten/consumed by the only algae eater known to eat this type of algae, the Siamese Algae Eater (SAE). Biogenic decalcification can be prevented by adding CO2. Healthy fast growing plants will out-compete this feathery-black algae that tends to grow on slow growing plant leaves. When buying new plants, before planting, it's good to soak them into a weak household bleach solution for two minutes. 1 part of bleach (don't use bleach that has lemon, orange or any kind of scent) to 20 parts of water. Do not forget to rinse the plants well with clean water before adding them into the aquarium. The only perfect way to combat Brush algae is planting lots of healthy fast growing plants, introducing a few SAE, maintaining CO2 at 30ppm, nitrates at 15ppm and phosphates at 0.5ppm. Leaves that are badly overtaken should be discarded.
Observations;
When I had a problem with BBA, I dosed 1ml per 50 liters of Easy Carbo (equivalent to Flourish Excell) every other day for a week. The algae turned purpleish/pinkish and disappeared. Maintaining the same CO2 levels is the best way in controling this algae.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Great source Spongbob!!! Looks like I'll be getting co2 going soon as soon as my lazy ass can figure out the recipe for DIY yeast produced co2.

SAE's arn't avaliable in my local aquarium stores yet, but I'll get some for my 35 gallon long tank as soon as they're in.

I guess I'll take the wood, rocks, and filter equipment out and soak in bleach solution again. I'll see if I can soak my live plants with the algae in a diluted bleach solution too and maybe it'll kill the algae before killing the plants.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Extra post!!!! OOps!

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Peter, I was reading up on algaes and it seems some algaes (not sure about brush algae) come about from big disturbances to the substrate... do you think this might be magnifying your algae problem?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

It could be because the 2 tilapia I have are digging holes all over the place. I think it's just coming back from when I knocked it back before. It's like it's doubling every day. When it was a micron long I didn't notice 2 microns. When it's a centimeter long it's easy to see that double.

It's not actually doubling, but you get the idea.

It may also be that I need to do a major cleaning. I need to clean the gravel of all poop and crud. The undergravel filter just puts poop juice into the water.

I have to do another damned bleaching and total cleaning. I'm going to remove fish and, well , I'll post how crazy I get with the bleach.

Don't worry. I'll make sure there's no residual bleach in the tank when I return the fish. I'll see how many of my plants I can save, and after I finish it may be a good idea to get a DIY co2 system going to 1) grow the plants back and 2) to stay ahead of the algae like the article says.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Well,-I-never-did-the-big-clean-in-the-100-gallon-and-the-algae-basicly-stopped-growing-except-for-it-covering-some-large-areas-of-wood-with-beautiful-furry-dark-red-purple-velvety-patches.....I-wish-I-had-a-camera-as-it's-really-nice-in-this-respect....The-smaller-planted-tank-where-I-transferred-many-of-the-plants-is-looking-pretty-good-too.....The-brush-algae-on-these-plants-has-been-pretty-much-eradicated-by-the-Ottos-and-SAE's.

I-guess-all-that-was-needed-with-the-brush-algae-in-the-100-gallon-was-to-remove-the-big-eaters,-the-14-inch-Arowana-and-big-Tilapias,-and-now-I-use-probably-1/6-the-amount-of-food,-cutting-the-bioload-considerably.

Since-removing-many-of-the-plants-the-Java-moss-has-grown-in-a-lot-wafting-in-the-current-a-foot-long-from-it's-attatchments-on-the-wood.

No-more-GF-so-no-camera......Somday-I'll-get-one-and-take-some-more-pics.

Hair/brush algae back again! Any new ideas?

20 posts • Page 2 of 2