sump filtration

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

noack214

sump filtration

by noack214

can any1 tell me if this is a complete setup???and if not what else do i need ??? i dont want to drill holes in my display tank
all these parts will be ordered from drfostersandsmith.com
filter sump $249.99----contionous siphon overflow 1" single bulk head $99.99---- sump inlet assembly 4" 1 inlet 29.99----- 1 quiet one pumps model 3000 $49.99..
i dont want to try to make one either as easy as it looks on you tube i will still screw it up so id rather just buy one and save the time and headaches

snowboss

by snowboss

I am a huge fan of sumps.......i wouldn't use one and don't right now because my current tank is not drilled ...BUT - - - for the money you are quoteing ....check this system out.......wet/dry filter, surface skimmer, auto top off, syphon break {no floods on mommas floor,lol} looks like tuperware .....but who cares ....rated for 150 gallon tanks.............just a thought....im looking at it for a 20 gallon long........ with out the top off attachment, Boss

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=16747

noack214

by noack214

thats sounds like a fantastic system...
i wouldnt need the top off attachment either and that system is by far cheaper!!!
i just want to get my order correct i would hate to pay shipping twice for pieces i didnt get the first time around..
$179 for the filter and $59 for the surface skimmer/overflow is there anything else i need

snowboss

by snowboss

i dont think you need anything else to get the system running------but if you have a few extra bucks, get extra media, carbon [i recomend black diamond} but thats purely choice, do you have or need a powerhead ? just thinking a couple extra bucks in shipping now...is cheaper than ordering one piece again later is all...............Boss

Note: this filter is more of a canister type than sump........but should also run a lot quieter than a sump, plus no cat hair and room debris getting in there either - -i also personally wouldn't run the bioballs in it - -they tend to feed bactieria back into the tank {theres a couple other posts on here about that theory}

noack214

by noack214

i have two aqua clear 70's but when i make this order im going to buy a hydor koralia powerhead since it seems nearly everyone here has one in there pics.
i hope to have some kind of filter system puchased and running by the end of april...
also ive been reading alot about the fluval fx5 and it has great reviews any opinions on that system?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

believe it or not try to contact PeterKarig on the freshwater side ...he is the resident canister filter guru.............i think ive even read him talking about the FX5

My hagen 110 is an aquaclear {their made by hagen} i think it might be to big ....or i should say putting out to much current for my 20 gallon....lol it's a catagory 5 on one end of the tank for sure .............

sump filtration

6 posts