Dwarf puffer stories

13 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Would you add dwarf puffers to a community tank?

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes : 7

rsbadger15

by rsbadger15

well i think mine are pea puffers.
thats what they were sold as.

this is what i found...

http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/community_results.php?id=162

Community Creator
Malabar Pufferfish
Carinotetraodon travancoricus
Malabar Pufferfish
code No.
WARNING! This fish should not be kept in a community tank or has too many conflicts with other fish to be included in the Community Creator.

Often sold simply as 'Dwarf' or 'Pygmy' Puffers these little puffers can make a great addition to an aquarium kept by experienced fishkeepers. Although the fish is relatively robust, great care must be taken in providing the correct tankmates, environment and diet. The aquarium should contain plenty of planting areas, in part to prevent squabbles. The fishes diet should include plenty of frozen or live foods including small meaty foods. Snails are a particularly good source of food. Scince these fish may have unpredictable behaivour, they are not included in the Think Fish Community Creator. Little reliable information is available on these fish, and some reports state sizes of up to 15cm, although this is likely to be a confusion copied from an original error. As with many other puffers, these fish can be prone to skin based problems such as whitespot.

Aquarium set-up and information
Aquarium suitability: 2/5
Sociability rating: 6/10
Area of tank: Bottom, middle
Aquarium water conditions: 7-8.5, m,h,vh Help and explinations of terms
Temperature: 22 - 28C
Feeding: Live, frozen, dried foods; include some meaty foods in the diet
Minimum tank size: 45cm
Min / Max number in tank:

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Generally as a consensus from multiple sources I checked after realizing I had a snail problem in my 16 gallon...I went to search the term 'Dwarf Puffer' its generalized and almost any LFS within a 40mi radius of me sells them desribed as above. Dwarf Puffers. Almost all sources I checked were explicit in their mentioning that ''DPs'' are a purely freshwater fish, and also the ONLY freshwater puffer species. Most of these sources also cited that an adult sized Dwarf Puffer would reach a length of approx 1" with a rounded body. In all my searching I had never come across anything called a Pea Puffer. Just Dwarf or Pygmy. I'm not saying you're wrong or your buddy is wrong. This is just what I got from surfing the web, hours of it, and believe me like you've both mentioned I came across PLENTY of misinformation. Most of which was confined to answers.yahoo.com lol What a horrible source 9/10 of the time, and I have yet to ask a question on it. I can tell you at this point that my 'DP' is about the size of 6 peas, and that's probably as big as its going to get. heh On a side note a friend of my girlfriends purchased a figure eight and was misinformed...trying to raise it in freshwater, it didn't last more than a month. As far as I know both figure eights and spotted puffers are more aggressive, are larger, and are also brackish water fish.
I also feed mine frozen blood worms as a staple, and ramshorn/pond snails from my 16 gallon as a snack. He 100% prefers the snails, but doesn't seem to know when to stop eating them..sometimes I'm afraid he'll burst. lol

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

lol he will stop eating them when he is too full, as for the about the size of six peas, that's a big dp, i have some more aggressive faster tetra in my tank and plenty of plants as you can see, so i don't run into too many conflicts with the my fish, my discus don't mind them at all and my angels don't even bother with them the dps do like to eat brine shrimp and frozen blood worms as a secondary diet form, if they become a hassle i will move them to a tank where they can be by themselves with plenty of plants and snails to snack on but i don't see this being an issue, i hope all goes well with your puffer and that they wont beat up too badly on your other fish. good luck, and thank you for the extra information, it's always nice to be well informed.
Brandon

Dwarf puffer stories

13 posts • Page 2 of 2