Higher pH that fluctuates a bit

23 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

If your water is clear always, then an additional filter will help your ammonia stay near zero for longer. I personally would stick with the system you have in place... if you ever feel you are doing too many water changes, or losing your beneficials to often (meaning you dont break down ammonia into nitrates fast enough), then look into an additional filter. Just a note, i thought my water was pretty clear until i added a second filter and the carbon bag... then again, i had many fish for my tank size... adding a second filter can allow you to add a few more smaller fish, a second filter pad doesnt allow this (as it doesnt add gph to your filteration). Just a thought for the future. let us know how the next gravel vac/water change goes, and post your water test results.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Regarding how my water exits the filter -- it is a cascading waterfall.. It makes a prominent sound in the room and can be heard in the next room, with the water line pretty high. I keep the water line fairly high, like between the indicated water line and barely below the top edge of the tank. I do this because my significant other doesn't like the waterfall sound. (WTF?!) I'm going to do a water change later tonight and I'm not sure how long I need to wait to test the water so I'll test tomorrow. (?) I really want to do whatever I can to keep my tank nice and my fish happy. I adopt fish like I adopt my cats and dogs, seriously.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I changed 25% of my tank tonight stirring the gravel all the way to the bottom of the tank. I didn't get much detritus up, no more than usual. Maybe my frequent changes including stirring 1.5" of gravel has been enough to keep the muck from settling all the way to the bottom? Also, I feed my fish very sparingly, not even to the recommended amount. They aren't bottom feeders, but I notice that my guys will eat off the bottom, and I assume that's because I feed them sparingly.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Ok, I did a 25% water change, ensured thorough vacuuming, and my results are as follows:

BEFORE:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 5.0
Nitrate 5.0
pH 8.0

AFTER:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 1.0 ppm
Nitrate 5.0 ppm
pH 7.8

A little bit better, but also typical numbers.

Zambize

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

I think this is A LOT better. Your nitrites went from deadly to workable... good job... i believe the thoroughness helped, because a water change alone couldnt have dropped your nitrites this much alone, so thats good. Keep it up!

And yes your tap water has decreased your ph a bit... i bet if you took a test tomorrow your ph will be back where it was at 8.0. Now we need to figure out whats raising your ph if its not your tap water.... hmm we need others to chime in here

miami754

by miami754

Yeah, there is a big difference in 5 ppm of nitrite and 1 ppm to your fish.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

One more time, I'm befuddled about this pH.

TODAY
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrites: 1.0 ppm
Nitrates: between 0-5.0 ppm (but closer to 0 than to 5)

I'm thinking that the other numbers are looking better? But the pH concerns me, it doesn't even seem close enough to be "consistent".

Zambize

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

my guess seems to be true... your ph is somewhere around this 8.2, when you water change (with a tap water of ph 7.6) your ph drops closer to this mark, then slowly rises over the next two days back to the tank ph...

sounds like you need a buffer, i heard someone, i think maybe miami, puts a bag of crushed coral behind a rock to buffer their ph. I wish i had better methods to lower ph, or a reason for the higher ph, ive only battled low ph problems.

miami754

by miami754

Yeah, I think spongebob is right. I am guessing you would find your tap water right out of the tap is in the upper 7s and if you let it sit for 24 hours, it would be in the lower 8s. If you have something to store enough water for your water change overnight (a 5 gallon bucket or something along those lines) then you could fill it up the day before you plan on doing a water change, let it sit and then add it to the tank after it has sat out for 24 hours. That should make the pH drop less. Before you go to this trouble though, check to see that we are correct. Fill up a glass of water, leave it out for 24 hours, and then check its pH. You should find it to be in the lower 8s if we are correct.

Yes, spongebob - that is me who puts petrified coral underneath his rocks to raise the pH.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

i think zambize already tried leaving the water out and it ended up at 7.8 the next day. So its something else raising his ph, what could it be?

Higher pH that fluctuates a bit

23 posts • Page 2 of 3