efficient cleaning tactics

29 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

schigara

by schigara

Thanks Boss. It's still very young and sparse looking until the coral grow out.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lol - - -if you want to see sparce, clic on my pic bud..........I would like to add a few corals to my tank but they scare me . . . . . I had a very bad start up with this tank so I'm a little on the skiddish side about spending large money on things yet . . . I have 3 true percula clowns {small ones} and a large anemone hermit crab....got any suggestions for corals??? i don't care for shrooms or leathers - - I have quiet a bit of current as well so they would have to be pretty stout, Snowboss

schigara

by schigara

How long has the tank been running?

schigara

by schigara

Zoanthids and Ricordia can be very colorful and Xenia like Pulsing or Silver Elongata and Clove Polyps. These would probably do well and grow ok with your lighting but would do much better with something like a Nova Extreme T5 high output fixture. I got the 24in Nova fixture for my display refugium for $60 locally.

They are all very hardy coral that prefer more nutrient rich water and the Xenia work very well for nutrient absorption. No need to have pristine water or even very stable water parameters for the corals do thrive.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

tank is 4 1/2 months old .........how long would I have to run my 10K lights per day to support Xenias ....and.....am i a little young yet to be looking at corals?

schigara

by schigara

Probably 8-10 hours. at 4 1/2 months, you're fine to start getting some coral.

Do you have any coraline growth yet or copepods crawling on the glass and rock. These are 2 good signs of a healthy tank that is becoming mature.

eazy4647

by eazy4647

well now dat u bring that up about the copepods. would it be a bad idea to buy some copepods to try and jump start a copepods population??i already do have coraline growth on my rocks.

schigara

by schigara

Buying aquacultured copepods is not a bad idea at all. Just don't get the wrong idea that a tank could support a dragonette like a Mandarin or Scooter just because someone puts a few hundred copepods in their tank. (just making a general point here)

Copepods are a very good part of a clean up crew just like snails and certain hermits. Thousands of copepods are actually very efficient as a part of the clean up crew but in too small a tank or a tank without a refugium, a pod population can be eliminated by a natural predator such as a Mandarin or Leopard Wrasse in a matter of days.

Most people want pods so they can keep a Mandarin. Pods are of much more benefit than just a food source for a particular fish.

snowboss

by snowboss

i think those manderins are beautiful....but have yet to see many people with a correct system to support them happily...IMO....

I am getting some nice coraline growth and I have seen a few copepeds creepin around in there ......... thanks for the advise............Boss

efficient cleaning tactics

29 posts • Page 3 of 3