I don't understand the Python

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

I don't get this piece of equipment. I understand the first part, syphoning the water from the tank to a sink, but it's the second part I don't get. I've been avoiding asking this because it is probably obvious, I just don't get it. As I understand it, in the second part, you can run sink water back through the Python back to your tank. Well how do you treat your water then? It is my understanding that you must run your water into a bucket, add your various treatments, especially the de-chlorinator, and then wait 15 minutes. How can you do this with the Python?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

You just add dechlorinator to your tank and there is a short period where some of the water in your tank has a wee bit of chlorine. It's not a perfect system, but usually doesn't hurt anything to do it this way.

prskiller

by prskiller

I close the pump and run the water straight from tap into the tank. I dose my tank with Prime according to my tank size and not the amount of water I'm replacing. No problems with my fish. My oscar loves basking in the water flow from the python.

Zambize4899

by Zambize4899

Hmmm, ok. I thought any contact with chlorinated water would kill my fish. Maybe I'll get one of these little gadgets. I've only got a 28 gallon so the bucket brigade isn't really challenging. LOL

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I think you may need to be able to screw it to a faucet.

I'd see if there are any ways to thread a multi-compatible adapter to a sink reachable from the tank.

Then see if the Python has the right size adapter for it.

miami754

by miami754

Yeah, Peter is right. Everyone I have ever heard just adds the dechlorinator to the tank as the new water is running into it. The dechlorinator works almost instantly so your fish suffer a minimum amount of discomfort. Now if you do other things to new water that you add to your tank besides just dechlorinator then that may be a different story. I don't add anything else so it works for me.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Does it work the same if your water is treated with chloramine? When i first set up my tank and added all of the treatments it still took 3 days for the "swimming-pool" smell to go away.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

hmm interesting... ive never smelled that smell from a tank...

Poetic_irony3872

by Poetic_irony3872

chloramine is a tougher chemicle but is still chlorine based, it may actually take double the dosage to rid yourself of the chloramine. we have the same problem here where i am located and because they use chloramine it doesn't evaporate as easily so even filling a few buckets and letting them sit doesn't always do the trick, i had my dad weld up a filtration system that i can hook to my python it's a bit bulky but it works on the same principal as an anderson home water purification system, even uses the same stuff as the anderson filters.... it seems to work fine and i don't have the issue that most have in the area with the tap water quality, the ph in our tap water is super high like 7.9 roughly depending on the time of the month i am doing my water changes. the set up is pretty simple for the system i have adapted, i am trying to come up with a way to make it more mobile and a bit less bulky but the idea is to have the water feed into a pipe that's atatched to a larger pipe with a screen insert in it, the water feeds into the main canister where my anderson water pure pellets are then it feeds into another chamber where i have cheese cloth to make sure none of the filter media is sucked through and then out another screened piece of pipe and into the rest of the length of tubing and into the tank, i am eventually going to purchase a home water filtration system, out of need for my fish health. lol.

9 posts