Finally made an upside down tank!

41 posts • Page 4 of 5

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

they say all hobbies cost money, and when it comes to animals whether it's fish, snakes, dogs, cats, or any living creature the expense is quite high and the cost only goes up when you have issues to deal with, good to hear that the algae eaters are getting ahead of the algae in the smaller tank, also if your going to take the gravel out of the big tank might as well go ahead buy new, get all eco-complete and work up from there, i think you will see rapid benefits as well as find that the growth rate incomparable. extra cost but worth it in the end, you wont have the issue with the algae returning, also not having to go through all that extra work with rinsing rinsing rinsing, it's something that i think will save your back and your time, lookin at an extra 125 in spending but the time savings alone will be exponential. i say take out the ugf and try to do a little bit more of the semi brackish plants as your gars will love this, maybe even adding a large stump for them to swim around as in the wild this would be their natural habitat. just ideas.
hope this helps.
Brandon

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

They do have a stump, actually 2. I'm growing plants that don't need any special substraight and can grow on wood with roots bare to the water and I want to keep the UGF in this tank.

The gravel is just right for my gars to blend into and I think I'll go through the trouble of keeping it.

Have you seen my pics Brandon? There's a lot more plant growth now so I'll try and get some new pics up soon. Those on my profile are about 2-3 months old.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Dude I wasn't joking about the Indiana Jones whip..if thats what it takes to get that wonderful long lost artifact called a CAMERA back and in the right hands!

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

lol sorry pk, i just looked at your pics again , i see all the wood in the tank, it looks wonderful am betting the anubias are probably huge by now. i guess my concern with the rinsing is that you may not get all of the spores from the substrate,

on a positive note i found a plant that you may like actually i think you will more than like it, i think it will make a great addition to your tank, it's in the anubias family, but has a lighter lime green leaf on it i think it will pop out against the darker, nana, and barttieri, that you have in your tank. here is a link, anubias gracilis.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/Gracilis_ ... hf1366.htm
hope all goes well with the cleansing.
Brandon

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

That's a nice plant. I think I actually have one in my smaller planted tank. I'll take part of it when it gets bigger.

Since I'm going to rinse the tank with bleach solution I'll clean the gravel by filling the tank with a few inches above the gravel with the solution and let it sit. That should kill everything. It's the rinsing that will be time consuming as I have to get all the bleach out. Then I'' push all the gravel to the end, install half the UG filter, put the gravel on the UGF and install the other half. I like the way the UGF works in this tank.

Sorry I've been so lame with the pics. The card is full and I have only change to my name today, literally, and I don't have a disk. I don't want to download all the pics onto my desktop so I'm gona wait. She has a B-day party today, arrrrrr, and I said I'd bring the camera to her.

As for pictures: yer all justa gona hav to wait. ARRRRRRRRR

USD TANK
USD TANK
USD TANK

gumbii

by gumbii

i'm here for the updates...??? still no pics...??

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Honestly Gumbii, it looked kinda stupid the way I had a 10 gallon over a 20 gallon. The width and length of the 10 gallon wasn't much bigger than the 20 gallon and it didn't look nearly as cool as the one on youtube. I did get the water to go almost all the way up with the venturi but it just looked silly, and I couldn't get into it ti clean the algae.

I'd say if you want to make this in a way that looks good you have to have a very wide squarish bottom tank.

I took it down and stuck the 3/4 gallon in it's place by submerging the 3/4 gallon and lifting it onto the braces. It's not worth pics believe me.

ChristinaBug2890

by ChristinaBug2890

Well thats alright. So it didnt turn out like you planned. Thats totally ok. Next project..... i found one for you. ever been to rainforest cafe? I dont know if they're all the same but the one I went to in Toronto had a great salt water aquarium...you could just do fresh water instead. here are some pics I found on google...but i bet yours will be much nicer. yay I cant wait to see what you can do! :D

http://clemetcedenvoyage.files.wordpres ... t-cafe.jpg

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

hehe thats a tall request!!

Poetic_Irony2267

by Poetic_Irony2267

WOOOT that's kind of like what i want to do when i finally break down and buy a house, sept it's gonna be a whole wall tank most likely fifteen foot or better.... can we say serious addict?!?!?! wanna do it all discus and live plants... with access from the room above lol sliding floor panel or a flip up panel so i can get right down in the tank. will have to have a rubber suit for cleaning it.
Brandon

Finally made an upside down tank!

41 posts • Page 4 of 5