feeding orange sun polyp?????

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

samik

by samik

Does any 1 have any good ideas of how to feed sun polyps.... and what would be the best food for them??? samik

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

i don't have corals right now ---but i've heard good things about a product called "marine snow" My LFS has it and if they have it most any LFS will, lol {my LFS sucks}

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

marinesnow is phytoplankton ? sun polops need zooplankton.also they may eat phtoplankton. try cyclopez and other meaty foods a few times a week. feed each head.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Snow stands corrected

samik

by samik

now with the cyclopez, I have the whole freeze dried it a redish powder is that the kind you are talking about?? i have been feeding them the mysid shrimp which they seem to be taking but i can not get the smaller heads any suggestions...samik

tangerine

by tangerine

i usually flood the tank with cyclopeeze and after the polyps have extended fully,then i squirt mysis around them. i do that every alternate day.

samik

by samik

but wouldn't my nitrates go up if i flood my tank with cyclopeeze?????samik

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i would target feed each head

tangerine

by tangerine

[quote]but wouldn't my nitrates go up if i flood my tank with cyclopeeze?????[/quote]

it will, so having a good mean of nutrient export is important. my beckett skimmer keeps my nutrients level at a constant low level and i do have quite a heavy bioload tank.

saltwaterpimp,me target feed when feeding the mysis. fir the cyclo,i just pour it into the tank about 1/4 of a small mineral water bottle worth (500ml).the cylco are not meant solely for the suns,all my other lps and my fishes loves them.
also the cyclo do have a rather strong smell and the sunnies will sense availibility of food and will start to open up. when the polyps are fully extended,that's when i target feed by squirting mysis at them.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i used to target feed all my corals with the frozen cyclopez and the frozen mix with misid and what ever else they put in there.what the corals dont eat the fish,snails,shrimp,ect will quickly take it out of the water..also it gave me a chance to inspect corals and rock and for pest's..i was a freak what can i say...and also i agree with tangerine agood mean of nutrient export is important .is your profile up to date..with filtration.i had a 65with about 1600 gph of water flow{my sand would shake} and still needed more also i had a over flow. just add small amounts to make sure your not over feeding.it is easy to do .

12 posts • Page 1 of 2