bubbles

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

tarpon

bubbles

by tarpon

My 29 gallon Oceanic Biocube is doing great. Water is clear, fish are happy, all that...but what can I do about the tiny freakin' bubbles? It almost looks like sand or something they are so small. But it makes the water look less clear. I am new at this, so I know this might be a dumb question but is there any way to get rid of them?

eazy4647

by eazy4647

well let us know about ur set up to kno exactly wats causing ur bubbles.

eazy

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

This may be a bit too general for your situation especially since I don't know much about SW tanks, but give this a look.

http://www.redseamax.com/redseamax/Red_ ... rt.html#_5
..and navigate to, ''Technical Issues>My Tank is Filling With Thousands of Tiny Bubbles.''

On that note, even though it probably has nothing to do with your problem.. In freshwater situations, i think I read something about it once but my memory is vague. Often when I place ''new'' things in the tank that have been dry for some time all the ''air'' in the water seems to collect on them, even if they've been rinsed beforehand...Does anyone know if this has something to do with ''oxygen saturation'' If the water has become so saturated with O2 that it just starts collecting on things? This is really kinda bugging me.

Edit: guess I should've read more into my post. lol The information seems to pertain to ''Red Sea'' products only..but hopefully there's a tidbit in there that may prove helpful..

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

very good article Timercier, I don't know if it helped Tarpon or not but I have been fighting with a red sea prizm skimmer for a few weeks now, and this article had some good pointers that I will be trying

Tarpon - -if you find that the air is coming from the skimmer.......i have found one of two reasons....one, it's new and can take days even weeks for the skimmer to break in and or two, in my case i was over skimming, {running it with to much flow going through it} seems that the longer i can keep the water in the skimmer the cleaner it omes out and the more airbubbles stay in the skimmer itself........a sure sign of over skimming is water or watery crap in the cup - - skimate should be nasty stinky sluggy junk......if i pours like nasty pond water ....your over skimming, back it off and in a few hours to a day or two it should clear up.

if your running power heads - -make sure they aren't to close to the surface and picking up air and blowing it everywhere

I'd take a saturday or something and just power down each piece of equipment one at a time for an hour or so and see what fixes he bubble issue....then you can figure out what adjustments need to be made to remedy the issue, let us know what you find, Boss

tarpon

by tarpon

I did just get a skimmer, and it is always filled with alot of dirty water. I bet you are right, I will back it off. thanks.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

good luck man - - - -the only thing worse than micro bubbles is brown algae....makes me mad enough to kick the pope in the face {im kidding catholics} lol

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

what kind of skimmer tarpon? also boss have you tried that air adjuster valve i sent you?

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

yes i have pimp...seems to run better with the factory setting adjustments........i'm getting it down little by little

I got a new test kit - -did my tests and my PH is down arond 8.0 {im ading buffer to bring it back up, Amomonia is .2, nitrate is 10 [thats the lowest it reads] nitrite reads 0 and Alkalinity is 150 PPM [i have never tested alk, so i don't know if thats good or bad????

So although not terribly wrong, my old test kit was off some......enough to cause some of my problems? i can't say...Boss

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

alkilinity cant be 150

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

it should be 3.2 to 4.5 meq/l or 7-12dkh

bubbles

17 posts • Page 1 of 2