lighting an aquarium for acropora

12 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

schigara

by schigara

Don't try to use any non-reef Halide bulb. You will burn all fish and coral within minutes. The bulb itself is the one part of the DIY you can not get away with a cheap non-aquarium piece.

All aquarium halides bulbs are UV shielded in some way. The SE single ended bulbs are like a bulb within a bulb. The outer layer of glass is the UV shield. DE or double ended bulbs have a glass UV shield that slides into a slot of the reflector under the bulb.

If you have glass tops, you could get away with a non-shielded SE mogul bulb but check into the Kelvin rating of the bulb.

makavelithedon963941

by makavelithedon963941

or try T5 HO's, i have T5 and keep both montipora and acropora along some lps. they arent much cheaper than MH tho, some are more $ than MH. but i am very happy that i got them as my tank has never looked better. I paid $250 for a 36" fixture with 6 bulbs and 8 lunar lights. and no matter what you do, dont purchase from your local fish store as you will overpay, check saltwater pimps link, e-bay is a great place for reef lights, thats where i got my t5's

lighting an aquarium for acropora

12 posts • Page 2 of 2