water current ?

15 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

snowboss

by snowboss

no burrow yet , but i have a nice cave in the live rock that he seems to have adopted.

wow, 2-3 lb rocks eh, strong lil bastards, lol . . .i'll keep and eye on him for sure........ how often do they change shells? i dont have any in there yet

angus4481

by angus4481

they change shells when they out grow the one they are in. i went my store and saw 5 lg shells in the tanks and bought them. bout 4 days later the red crab changed shells(he took the biggest one i had). it looked huge on him, but thats when i noticed him growin quicker. my smaller white one needs a new shell but wont give up his anenome shell(i think pride is a factor with him).

ya 2-3lb rocks, i took my biger rocks out cuz i dont want him to fall off the rocks n break the glass with his bigass shell. im still concerned about the fact that he can pick the rocks up, but what if he goes roger clemmens on my glass? ill just buy a bigger tank i guess....lol

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lol sounds like a plan ....... i was reading on the anemone crabs and the article says they will usually take their anemones with them when they change shells unless theres a bigger anemone in there then he'll take that one {greedy lil fellas,lol}

My crab was standing sideways right in the main current of the filter return last night , and the larger of the two anemones was wide open - - -it was almost as if he was giving the anemone a chance to gather some food in the current....kinda cool behavior, - - -only problem i have with him is now he knows when i feed the clowns and he comes runnin to get some of their food rather than cleaning like hes sposed to.....smart lil bastard.....Boss

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

If I understood what I read awhile ago right, generally fish (especially those who naturally come from a lot of current, like stream/river fish like my kuhlis) enjoy a lot of current in the tank, and most enjoy a good degree of some current. However all fish like to sleep/rest so as long as there are dead spots (like your back corner) however inconvenient to viewing your fish they may be... your set living conditions shouldn't prove too stressful for them. :) Picture no deadspots as yourself going to bed and realizing that your pillow is gone, so you have to suspend your head several inches above the bed all night. (but not quite as stressful) lol
On the other hand if you find that you're experiencing the equivalent to underwater hurricane category 5, even a deadspot might not be too soothing. lol

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lol good point ....i don't think im quiet at a Cat 5 storm in there and i think you hit right on the head....the back corner however inconvienient for viewing is the spot they like.....i have been watching and they do venture out now and then , but for the most part that their space.....and like teenagers i will respect it and let them do there thing....as long as they don't start smokin weed or anything...then i'd have to move some rock and ground them...lmao

water current ?

15 posts • Page 2 of 2