ph very high

18 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I guess in all the years I've used tap water and didn't know the pH I never had any problems with my fish. There was the occasional ick to deal with and fungus, but the probable high pH didn't seem to hurt any, so I'm with Spongebob and Coler on this.

milky648

by milky648

ok, well her guppies are dying one buy one i guess they cant handel the hight ph she hade 6 now down to 2 and ther couer isendt nice no more either im gonna see and test her water for nitreite and amonia thanks for ur info

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Try doing a 30% water change with only distilled water, or buy 1 gallon of spring water and test the pH. The distilled water should be only be used to do 1 water change to dilute the water in the tank. Don't keep using only distilled as the tank needs the minerals in regular water. Either that or get 1 gallon spring and check it's pH. If it's good or around 7 she can do 100% of the 30% water changes with it. Sorry to hear about these fish! Smaller tanks are more difficult to keep balanced. She should do daily 30% water changes if ammonia and nitrites are measurable, and nitrates are over 30 ppm. Nitrates should normally rise over time, but up to 30 isn't critical. It should be less than 10 ideally.
I've read that it's better to add the correct pH water than to add a pH lowering buffer.

Anyone else have any ideas?

milky648

by milky648

do u mean like 7.0 stuff she tryed that and it said it would corecet it and nothing happend so im gonna check her water and give her bogwood see if that will help and see how high her ph actualy is couse with the regualre one 7.4 it stopes its hard to say i havto do it my self ill try that with that water, thanks so mutch

milky648

by milky648

i know ph dosent matter but she dosent want it that high she wants it lowere so ill see what happens

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I forget why the water from municipal water supplies is so alkaline, but I know it's something about removing or making heavy metals or other toxins non-harmful to humans. They do it intentionally. I would try some other water. It's only a 10 gallon tank and shouldn't be very expensive to buy.

milky648

by milky648

so take all that water out and maby ill give her my tap water? my water is fine will try , ya it realy sucks i toled her dont give up so will try over the weekend ill let u guys know how it went thanks again for all ur help and time really thanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

All the tap water in your area is probably the same. can't you buy a few gallons of distilled water? Take 3 galllons out of the tank and put 3 gallons distilles water in and check the pH.

ph very high

18 posts • Page 2 of 2