Photo-taking Tips

19 posts • Page 2 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Hey guys, I just took some shots with my slr camera... u guys got me all worked up and thinking about my photography... what you all think of my new shots?

http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/friendemail.php/15999

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

bout the only thing better than that would be to stand in front of the tank in person...great pics Sponge, beautiful fish....Boss

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Thanks Boss

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Gorgeous fish, and a nicely scaped tank to boot. :)

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

thanks tmercier, hows your shoot going?

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Well my camera is certainly taking better pictures but I'm still not satisfied with or without macro close-ups, I think its just my camera's lack of REAL custom options that I'd need to set, like depth of field etc. I used my girlfriend's sis' cam and shot some pics that turned out gorgeous...forgot to D/L them of course. lol
But I have some pictures posted of the shrimp in my 5gal that was supposed to be a Crystal Red Shrimp (he was actually a freebie hitchhiker that was so small the LFS employee didn't see him and outsurvived the two I paid for lol) the two juveniles died within 24 hours, guess my params were too drastically different for the older ones to adjust to. The employee said they're acclimated up to 6.6-6.8 from a PH of 5.2 in their natural environment and my PH was roughly 7.4 when I put them in. I'm positive the only survivor isn't a CRS anyway. Oh well, he's still got some cool markings.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

good to hear, we'll wait to see the new pics. I hope to add to my collection of pics again soon, but im pretty pleased with the latest round. I figure if i change pics often rather than change my tank setup often, i won't run into as many problems, lol.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Well I think I've got the hang of closeups pretty good now =D (see profile picture ID) The shrimp is pretty much crystal clear...
Now my biggest challenge...Tetras. Someone should really call some big whig scientists up working on perpetual motion and tell them about Tetras. These stinkers never stop moving!
I know shutter speed was touched on...but when I set my shutter speed above 1/60 the photo is blacked out, but it seems I can't get a clear shot of them with anything less, any ideas? Additional spot lighting from the tank hood? I think adding a light above would probably temporarily freak them out so I guess I'd have to put it on there ahead of time, and wait for them to return from their little corner..

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Well, i know for the close-up pics i took of my angels, i introduced two exterior lights from the front of the tank (i have these, as im a photographer as well). This is the only way to manually snap fast moving shots of your fish. Otherwise, if you have no lights, your flash will have to do the trick, and you must therefore leave it on automatic, unless you really want to get tricky with it.

Your manual mode should also allow you to turn the flash on, so try this first.

Your shrimp pic looks great, good job. I am currently waiting approval on my new main pic, which shows my tank with the wood removed... only plants now. The fish ran to the corner, but my tank water looks nice and clear the way it should be, not like before.

Photo-taking Tips

19 posts • Page 2 of 2