how does this even happen???

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

singapore

by singapore

so i just purchesed a 130watt power compact for my 20 gal reef tank right... everything was going to be good with 6 1/2 wpg. then, while i was looking online for sump information, i realize that a tank with the dimensions of mine is actually a 10 gal! so now what do i do? will 13 watts per gallon cook any corals i put in there?

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

so you realy have a 10 gallon tank? buy highlight corals..you could also put egg crate on top of your tank. or hang light from your celling

angus4481

by angus4481

or window tint, if you have glass tops

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Why don't you just take or send it back, and buy another one?

snowboss

by snowboss

not for nothing but a 20 gallon tank is pretty cheap - -if you have that option - -I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume you paid WAY more for the light than a new tank will cost you....lol Boss

eazy4647

by eazy4647

yea id go with boss..why not just upgrade to a bigger tank. since u already got the lights and das one of the most expensive things..great input boss lol. its pretty logical. i second that notion..buy a bigger tank. instead of replacing the lights. plus bigger tanks are easier to care for and give u more room to work wit.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

eazy,
That's not that easy:-) If you upgrade for a 20 from 10, you'll have to have an extra10 (maybe only 8.5 or 9) G's of rstabilished saltwater. If you'd pour an unestabilished 10G's of water to an estabished 10G, that wouls break your biological cycle right away and ammonia would start to raise like crazy. Unless his tank is in the nitrogen cycleing period. Than he could do that. + He might have to add a bigger heater+ extra substate, maybe bigger filter... So... Some good companies such as ( and here we go again:-) www.petsolutions.com offers 30 days no questions ask money back guarantee on any of the products they sell, even the shipping expenses...So if Singapore happy with his 10G tank, why shouldn't he just send a light back and order a different one from the same company, instead of build up a brand new ecosystem? That'd be my logical way..lol

snowboss

by snowboss

ok good point - -i have to agree with DH....although a 20G tank is cheap I did not take into consideration setting it up and haveing it ready for the occupants of the exsisting 10G set up............ i retract the above statement humbly, Boss

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Someone mentioned on this forum once, someone we all know.."saltwaterpimpin' ain't easy":-)

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

lol..its true so true

10 posts