Harlequin shrimp

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

graniteguy

Harlequin shrimp

by graniteguy

our tank is doing well. we put in a harlequin with it's food source, a chocolate chip star, and it only lasted four days. can anyone offer insight as to why this beautiful, but delicate creature would die? we have bubble anenomes, and coral, a banded shrimp a few fish. lots of live rock and coral substrate.

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Which ones lasted 4 days, the harlequin shrimp or the chocolate star?

dick_headers

by dick_headers

I suppose it's your Harlequin shrimp. Harlequins and basically any members of shrimp colonys are very sensitive creatures. You have to pay serious attention when you acclimate them. However I always use the drip acclimation method when I introduce shrimp into my tank. Fishes and other inverts I go with the floating bag method. You got the shrimp from a trustful and healthy store? Shrimps are also very sensitive for quick parameter changings ( ph, salinity, etc..). If you have already high nitrate levels in your water, that could be a possible cause of death. Have you seen her eating? Your banded shrimp might attacked her, they can tell is shes a strong or a weak one...

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

also do you add iodine.shrimps need this to molt..are you shure its not molting?

dick_headers

by dick_headers

sure,
i didn't even think of that.. Mine just molted about 2 days ago...

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

dude that would suck if he tossed it and it was molting..

dick_headers

by dick_headers

well... she wouldn't let toss herself away without resisting

angus4481

by angus4481

its a common mistake, did it myself. i threw my sallyfoot crab away, didn't know bout how they molt. at least i know better now.

graniteguy

by graniteguy

Thanks to all. I believe my coral banded might have killed her. He was above her when i found her

Harlequin shrimp

9 posts