Ideal planted shrimp tank size?

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

neonlights999

by neonlights999

Does anyone know if there's an ideal sized tank for a planted cherry shrimp setup? I know cherry shrimp can be kept in somewhat small tanks but how small is too small you think?

billy_corycat

Re: Ideal planted shrimp tank size?

by billy_corycat

I would probably say 5 gallons at a minimum. Firstly because the shrimp need enough space to feel comfortable to explore and breed - small though they are they still need a bit of space. And second because 5 gallon tanks are 'big' enough to be sort of easily managed. I'm guessing a 2 or 3 gallon will need more water changes, filtration might be an issue in such a small tank (don't want the flow to be too much for the shrimp), and so on. But maybe other people with tiny tanks can chime in. :)

kate_kuhli

Re: Ideal planted shrimp tank size?

by kate_kuhli

Yeah I think a standard 5 gallon would be the smallest I would go. I know I have some small tanks I don't really use but for emergencies and things and like fore example my 2.5 gal seems like mostly vertical space. So a standard 5 gal would just look like a nicer shrimp tank I think. I'd want to be able to watch the shrimp like I do with fish and that would be easier in a roomier tank.

3 posts