Undergravel filter modified to be compatible for fine plant

34 posts • Page 2 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

gumbii

by gumbii

how about a 100micron buddy...

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... catid=4353

i know the filter socks are 200micron... yeah i can't find the filer material without it being a sock...

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

perfect, good job gumbii

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

That's why I want it very thin, so it doesn't collect gunk. If I have to use multiple pieces I'll just run it through a sewing machine. I don't think It'll stink if I have enough roots and I vacuum the gravel down to it occasionally.

gumbii

by gumbii

you vacuum your planted tanks..??? that's probably where i'm failing and aids in my planted tank...

gumbii

by gumbii

i heard from a speaker from seachem saying that UGF aren't good for plants...

but i don't know much about planted tanks...

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

in theory, if a plant pulls the nutrition from the waste in the water, and has to deliver it to the roots, then a ugf would spur it along. If however, the plant needs time to soak in the nutrition from the waste by fertilizing it, then the ugf would make it harder. Which brings us back to whether plants pull nutrition from the soil or the water... and if from the soil, do gravel vacs disrupt this. I personally find planted tanks very intriguing. And definitely curious to see the outcome of this diy project.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

UG filters can get clogged(the riser tubes) with roots, so that is the explanation I've heard, and yes, I do vacuum my planted tanks. I yank up the roots and replant for the most part. I want to grow grasses and val in this tank, so that may become impossible at some point. I also just stir up the gravel under a root system without pulling the entire plant out by angling my hand under the roots and agitating till the whole tank is muddy. Then I let the gunk settle on the top of the substrate and vacuum that up. I still want to research the point about nutrients staying in the gravel being better for plants. I'm very stubborn when I have an idea, but I'm willing to change my mind if given persuasive enough arguments. About that filter material Gumbii: it's thicker than what I was thinking. I want something that is like Tyvek, the stuff used for a barrier against drafts and animals but lets moisture escape. Tyvek is probably made of stuff that may be toxic for fish, but if you guys know it's safe maybe that would work though it might just get clogged quickly. My first choice would be very fine laboratory grade non rustable screen. This would be cleanable by vacuum and be fine enough for my purpose.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I don't think Tyvek is what I'm looking for. I think my brain was still asleap. Stainless steel screen for labs and/or for screening/sifting is what I want. I wonder if the hardware store has this very fine meshed screen. maybe it has to be ordered form laboratory catalogues. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

Pete - -I think i understand what you are wanting to do . . . maybe this site will help out a little - -good luck, Boss

http://www.directmetals.com/products/wi ... /index.asp

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I thought you might know of a source like this. Thank you Boss. Spongbob, I wonder if the plants are getting are getting a lot of minerals from having the roots directly attach to mineral rich plant gravel? In this case there could be water flow and the plant roots could still get what they need as long as I don't disturb them too much with vacuuming. Stainless steel screening is the perfect material as it won't get clogged up and can be easily vacuumed from above. I figure that if gunk got caught in the space under the filter I could use a powerhead to suck water down one riser tube and then up the other (I know this is an issue with very low flow rates).

Undergravel filter modified to be compatible for fine plant

34 posts • Page 2 of 4