Tank help multiple questions

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

grindooo

by grindooo

So i am new but not new to a freshwater tank. Although this is my first 50 gal tank. Now my family was too impatient when it came to adding gravel, deco and fish. So i did not have an opportunity to set it up how i wanted it.

Time for questions.
1. Can i change the substrate from gravel to more natural substrate to prepare for live plants. Without removing the fish in there

2. If number 1 is yes. Would the addition of live plants be have an adverse effect on the fish until the tank has settled again.

3. Adding natural rock and wood. Ive done extensive reading on this subject. This is more a what would you prefer for deco rock and wood?

4. Lighting and nutients for live plants. The lighting part i have partially figured out. The nutients....not so much. Help on this as a forum post or something along those lines.

Thanks

a201

Re: Tank help multiple questions

by a201

G.
Be sure to research how to do a "Fish In" tank cycle.
You can change out your substrate. Net the fish out and place them in a separate container, such as a plastic bucket, while you work.
Start with sturdy low light plants like Anubias, Java Fern and Java Moss.
Becoming an aqua Gardener usually requires expensive lighting, knowledge of fertilizers and possibly a C02 system.
Plants are a great addition to an uncycled tank, helping to keep water parameters more stable during cycling.

grindooo

by grindooo

Expense doesnt really matter to me. I have been reading quite of a lot of how tos and topics on live planting. But didnt know if it was possible to do after its cycled

a201

by a201

This is a fun site, but you might consider joining the Aquarium Advice forum too. There are very good conversations on AA regarding planted aquariums, which might accommodate your needs better.

4 posts