40 gallon long barb tank

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

justkeepswimming

40 gallon long barb tank

by justkeepswimming

I wanted something a little different so I decided to have a tank focused on barbs. Does anyone have any barb suggestions? There's more than I thought! I don't know which ones to choose or how many I can choose, presuming that I need to have at least 5 to a school?

What do you think my tank theme should be? Planted? I was thinking sparingly planted because barbs probably need a lot of swimming space. They look like they're fast swimming fish. I think barbs are from South America so I was thinking on doing that...like driftwood in the center with moss or fern attached and then some plants around the edges of the tank?

If I have fish in the bottom section of the tank which do you think would be a good match?

nea7

Re: 40 gallon long barb tank

by nea7

I like this idea, I prefer the creative approaches instead of just randomly choosing different fish.

I think if it was my tank I would choose some of the more unusual barb species that don't get quite as much recognition as tiger barbs or rosy barbs. Just to make it a bit more 'special'. And I'd choose some more unusual species of cories, too.

kate_kuhli

Re: 40 gallon long barb tank

by kate_kuhli

I just tried out a hypothetical barb tank on AqAdvisor for you - 5 black ruby, 5 snakeskin, 5 denison and that's supposedly fully stocked for a 40 long. If you wanted cories I think you'd probably have to lower the stock to 2 species of barbs.

40 gallon long barb tank

3 posts