Compatibility - is it a hit or miss?

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

lumi

by lumi

Whenever I'm planning a new tank (or just dreaming of a future tank) it always strikes me how my choices may not work out the way I thought they would. There always seems to be a side note of "well this fish COULD be compatible but may be too aggressive or may nip fins and so on". I don't know what I would do if that were to happen and have considered setting up an extra tank just for this possibility. Anyone else have this problem? Or am I being too paranoid?

kate_kuhli

Re: Compatibility - is it a hit or miss?

by kate_kuhli

No, I would say that's being responsible! :) I do a lot of research to make sure my stock list is compatible.

a201

by a201

I agree, do your research on species and biotypes. Use common sense, don't mix guppies with Oscars. When you finally stock your tank add groupings of juvenile fish. Given the chance to grow up together sometimes even aggressive fish can find a peaceful stalemate with less aggressive ones.

xxluckxx

by xxluckxx

In my view, it's always good to have a back up plan if you can! It can save a lot of time and stress when things do go wrong if you already have a plan in place for what to do and some extra supplies on hand.

4 posts