Coral reefs

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

blenny

Coral reefs

by blenny

Are coral reefs in trouble? Do you believe there's enough being done to keep them from going extinct? Is there anything we as SW fish keepers can do to help?

People talk about saving the rainforests a lot but coral reefs don't appear to get as much focus. I honestly don't know much about it though, or whether they're in very much danger right now. Hence the reason for this post.

ian06

Re: Coral reefs

by ian06

I think what we can do is advocate for how to keep saltwater inhabitants the correct way. If we help educate new saltwater aquarists we can prevent many of the deaths of fish/inverts/corals kept in the aquarium and this in turn can prevent more of these animals from being taken from coral reefs because people usually just keep replacing their stock when they die, not understanding why they are dying in the first place.

lumi

by lumi

Also, the more knowledgeable people in the hobby the better because that then means there are more people home breeding, which means less stock taken from the ocean, and yet everyone is still able to enjoy these wonderful animals without harming the ecosystem.

nea7

by nea7

I think simply having a reef aquarium plays some small part in helping. Family, friends and whoever else is invited into your home see your aquarium and can appreciate how beautiful and special and complex way beyond their imagination coral reefs are. It raises awareness. As you said, people are really aware of how jungles need saving. Coral reefs are sort of under the radar for most people because you see trees everyday, you see woods and forests, but unless you live near a reef you don't see them so it's not so in your face/on your radar, if that makes sense. So people don't think about how to help conserve reefs.

reefer171

by reefer171

I saw Finding Nemo on TV earlier while flicking through the channels and it made me think of this thread and wonder whether Finding Nemo helped or hurt reef conservation? It's super popular obviously so it must have raised awareness for the Great Barrier Reef but on the flip side there's all those parents that rushed out to get their kid a "Nemo" or "Dory" just because their kid wanted one. Cue lots of neglected dying fish because they didn't research on to care for them. So...yeah, I'm not sure.

Coral reefs

5 posts