chemical algae remover

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

fish123

chemical algae remover

by fish123

Is chemical algae remover actually safe or is it one of those products that should be avoided? Fish are so sensitive I feel and I feel like they might SAY it's safe but really it's not good for our fish. Especially the more sensitive species. But I don't know. After all, there's medicines and water conditioner and stress coat and things like that that are (more or less) safe.

kate_kuhli

Re: chemical algae remover

by kate_kuhli

I may be biased because I'm really anti chemicals but I feel like chemical algae removers could do more harm than good to your aquarium. I'd look into safer methods. Might involve more work but at least then you know it's safe and you won't be harming your fish.

georgemygoldfish

Re: chemical algae remover

by georgemygoldfish

Blast it with hydrogen peroxide. This video will show you how: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geFDaOhCphA

Try and keep it away from the fish as much as possible, but hydrogen peroxide just breaks down into water and oxygen pretty fast. When the algae starts looking pale or even pink, some algae eaters will then eat it. You might have to blast it a few times a day apart before it wilts.

No more than 7 hours of lights, and less if you don't have CO2. If you do have CO2 get a pH controller for it so the CO2 doesn't fluctuate. And make sure you have good circulation in the tank. No dead spots. You can increase circulation with extra circulation pumps. Circulation keeps the algae spores bouncing around in the water. They can't land on anything long enough to take root.

:)

chemical algae remover

3 posts