Stressed new fish

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

lumi

Stressed new fish

by lumi

My new fish are stressed :( Is there anything I can do to help them cope better?

kate_kuhli

Re: Stressed new fish

by kate_kuhli

My first port of call with stressed fish is to check the water parameters to make sure they're where they should be. E.g. ammonia and nitrites should be zero. More often than not it's ammonia and nitrites that cause fish to act stressed.

I'd also make sure they have plenty of cover. No/little cover can = stressed fish. Especially considering it's a new environment for them.

ian06

by ian06

You could try Stress Coat if they continue acting stressing. I hear that's good stuff. :)

blenny

by blenny

Could other fish be stressing them out? Or could your dechlorinator not be working?

lumi

by lumi

Thanks. I'm still not sure what the issue is. The water parameters seem to be okay. I hadn't thought about the dechlorinator not working...I guess I could buy a new bottle and put some drops in??

These are the only fish in the tank so it's not other inhabitants freaking them out. I'll try putting some more fake plants in for them to use as cover though.

kate_kuhli

by kate_kuhli

Maybe they just need time to get used to the new surroundings? Hopefully that's all it is :)

lumi

by lumi

UPDATE: Good news, they're no longer stressed! I'm very pleased. :) I think it was probably due to a combination of there not being enough hiding places and needing time to adjust.

kate_kuhli

by kate_kuhli

That's great news, I'm glad to hear it!

Stressed new fish

8 posts