Help! Is it OK to put goldfish in tropical tank?

3 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

ankitmehta

by ankitmehta

i have a tropical freshwater tank.I want to buy a goldfish .is it ok to do so? I am going to put it into a divided tank.

mooshkabug

Re: Help! Is it OK to put goldfish in tropical tank?

by mooshkabug

I believe not as a tropical tank is usually kept at a high temperature and Goldfish are cold water fish. I've always been told not to get the two mixed. I gave up all of mine to be able to keep guppies, which was easier on the filters and my peace of mind, as the water changing on a tank with 2 orandas was making me look like I had a full time fish keeping job. Also, Goldfish are horribly dirty fish. They eat and then poop out twice as much and that mixed in with the high water temps can't be a good thing. I think if you really want goldfish, you should either turn the tank into a cold water one or get a new tank that you can set up for your goldfish without endangering it or the other fish from your tropical tank. Also and most important, Goldfish need at least 10 gallons of water PER fish, all goldfish gurus I've read articles from agree on that one rule, even if they don't always agree on everything else. However you decide to do it, please do update your post : ) Happy fish keeping!

fishbones

Re: Help! Is it OK to put goldfish in tropical tank?

by fishbones

Please join my forum at http://tropical-fish-tank.com/ to get answers to all your fishkeeping questions and concerns.

Tropical-Fish-Tank.com Everything you love about your hobby, regardless if you are just getting started or have been keeping aquatic pets of any kind for 50 years. Its also nothing you hate about any other site you may belong to. This site is about each and every member, and will become better with each new member as you let us know what you want to see, and find that there are no annoying ads, no annoying staff, and no censorship of your thoughts or opinions. Please, always feel free to say what you think, and remember...The only stupid question, is the one you "Dont Ask" .

3 posts