Unusual hybrid situation

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

cjhp

Unusual hybrid situation

by cjhp

I currently have a few cichlid tanks and the original ideas and plans have not always worked out. I have ended up with a 55 gal. housing 1 African red jewel 1 CA convict and a Senegal bichir. It might not sound like the greatest crew but it works. The jewel and convict ended up being being my leftovers from other tank stocks that weren't working out. But now they are attempting to spawn. The bichir presents just enough of a threat to keep the pair rearing the nest. It really has no interest in the nest and is just hunting around. The pair will defend their nest without doing any harm. I have not heard of any successful hybrids of this pair but a little research is shedding light on the parental similarities of these two lovebirds. Both cichlids are young about 1.5 to 2 years and because of their introduction into established aquariums haven't grown as large they should have by now. It will be interesting to see what happens 1st spawn turned white and was only guarded by F convict. Now both are guarding the second spawn which is hidden much better than the first. Obviously with the bichir around I will have to remove the fry but I am prepared now since my excitement from the first one. I have a cycled 10 gal. running with a pair of corydoras in it and plan to use aquarium divider to block off intake of HOB filter.

cjhp

Re: Unusual hybrid situation

by cjhp

Has anyone out there accidently spawned a hybrid? I know it is common for multiple varieties of cichlids to be housed together. My freak spawn may never be a success but I still find it exciting.

andrecarneiro

Re: Unusual hybrid situation

by andrecarneiro

Sound like you got a case of Jungle fever buddy... lol, that's extremely cool... please keep us posted should they turn out healthy. would be cool to see a cross of the jewel and convict. Hopefully they turn out red with black stripes ... lol

Unusual hybrid situation

3 posts