African Cichlid tank, need advice...

2 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

durrkdurrk

by durrkdurrk

I have just recently gotten rid of my piranhas and started an African Cichlid tank in my 55 gallon tank. I have 5 African Cichlids in it, and 2 plecos. I am looking for a bottom dweller type fish to clean the bottom of my tank for me. I have some albino cory catfish, but I don't want to put them in there because it has a gravel bottom, and I don't want to hurt their barbels. So question is... what kind of fish can i put in to clean my gravel?

And yes, I know, the best way to clean the gravel is to do water changes siphon the gravel, but I am looking for something to clean WITH me. I'm not looking for an outrageous cleaner, just a LITTLE help whilst feeding them their staple diet.

So my main concerns are as follows:
1) Something that can withstand the gravel and not hurt their mouths
2) Something that will not get beaten up by my Cichlids
3) Something that will not eat my plants (if at all possible)

durrkdurrk

Re: African Cichlid tank, need advice...

by durrkdurrk

I asked the guy at the LFS today, and he told me this kind of catfish (pic attached). Do you know what kind it is? That Synodontis catfish you were talking about, I had looked it up, but it said something about "cleaning plants" mostly, not much of the gravel. (True?) This catfish that I got today doesn't really do anything (compared to all my other catfish), just lays around (yes, it is still alive, haha). Should I just take it back and see if I can find one of those Synodontis', or should this kind of catfish work out?
photo(7).JPG

2 posts