Cloudy water. Help!

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

poseidon

Cloudy water. Help!

by poseidon

I'm new to the tank world. I have had my evolve 8 for a week now. The water has never got super clear. Did my first water change today and it still looks bad. I need some help please. Any advise would be awesome.

andrecarneiro

Re: Cloudy water. Help!

by andrecarneiro

Its a new set up... what you going through is called a bacterial bloom, essential to fish keeping, these tiny organisms are goin to be living in your filtration system. You need to let your tank cycle completely so your water can be safe prior to adding fish. This is normal behaviour for a new set up. Your water will clear up.have you added any chemicals?

poseidon

by poseidon

Thank you for the reply! To answer your question about the chemicals...yes, during the initial set up I put in 6 root tabs. I have been adding co2 once a day, I also put in some water clearer called crystal clear. I stopped using that due to it leaving an oily substance on the surface of the water. I added fish 3 days after set up so I put Aqeons water conditioner in it. Two days ago I did a water change and added one amomonia clear tab. Prior to adding the tab the ammonia level was about 2. Now it's at about .75. The PH looks to be good. It's sitting right at 7.4 - 7.6. Hope this answers your question.

andros

by andros

Try using charcoal wrapped with several layers of used stocking for a week 24/7 inside your filter compartment. Make sure you thoroughly wash it (until black residue is barely noticeable).
When I say charcoal and I mean charcoal (burnt wood) not activated carbon. But again this is on a temporary basis. Don't consider using them again when you tank is well established specially, if your regularly dosing ferts. When you're using at an early stage for the plant some ferts, they will be wasted for they will be chemically remove by charcoal. So far it work for me even with the tannic color in my tank.
Huge water change will help but, keep it on until the desired clarity has been accomplish.
Hope this help.

Cloudy water. Help!

4 posts