Is there any truth to this

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

Is there any truth to canisters subjecting hobbyist to higher nitrates. I can see that happening if sponges and filter floss are left unattended only. I know air being exposed to a sump is good for beneficial bacteria and im losing that benefit in the closed canisters. should i sell one of the canisters and a get a sump, or can i get away with adding a refugium to the tank. (I dont have the space behind my tank..its up against the wall) Also, since I'm cycling LR soon, wont that be sufficient bio filt. in my 65g. Some on the net are claiming canisters are not logical for the reef tank. I dont want to get to the point of adding live stock and realize my filtration is inappropriate.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i agree i dont like canisters, ifyou can aford a sump get one, a refugium will not work unless its a 65 gallon or bigger. a sump is the way to go!

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

Should I keep at least one canister going. And if so i think the eheim has more room for bio area. Just when you think one area is of setuip is complete, you back to the drawing board.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

if it ait broke dont fix it, if you are not having problems chill.dont sell your stuff, just try to save some cash for a sump if thats what you want to do.

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

thanks man...its tough when you see everyone using sumps...i dont want problems down the line when i add rock and fish

5 posts