DIY mini Sump and HOB Overflow

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

djsnowman06

by djsnowman06

So I had this idea to setup a mini sump that was removable, making water changes way easier (nothing against the bucket method). I didn't want to drill the tank because I hate how it looks without the false wall. I also am a cheapo.

So I set out on a journey to build everything from things I could get at Walmart and Canadian Tire. The sump box was easy, a bathroom garbage can (albeit I had to get a second one because I failed to check for holes in the first one. When trying to contain water holes are not your friend) The overflow was the difficult part. I know the basic concept of siphon (helluva way to get free gas), but the 5 mins of looking on the internet lead me to a huge ugly PVC overflow. no dice I like clean looking tanks. So using nine 1/2 inch PVC elbows and two tees (T's) I came up with this:
SANY0588.JPG
SANY0565.JPG
SANY0577.JPG

djsnowman06

Re: DIY mini Sump and HOB Overflow

by djsnowman06

Priming it is super easy. I just hold it at a certain angle and dunk it in my tank. then i plug the intakes with my fingers until its in place. it supplies 26-30 GPH but I think I could double that by adding a second drain pipe. I'm creating detailed plans for this and other larger capacity HOB overflows, if anyone is interested.

djsnowman06

Re: DIY mini Sump and HOB Overflow

by djsnowman06

revised my overflow. added a front crosstube to hold water indefinitely, added a float switch for failsafe and strainers on both my filter and overflow( mass losses during a weekend away) overflow is now maintenance free always primed. can be removed without losing prime and best of all doesnt kill fish

3 posts