plants

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

marcusrose123

plants

by marcusrose123

i have a large pleco and i tryed putting some live plants in my tank and he ate them. is there any kind of live plants that i could get which he wont eat?

Okiimiru

Re: plants

by Okiimiru

It sounds like he's really hungry. Have you tried adding a slice of cucumber, carrot, or lettuce?

Floating plants might be a good solution. Something like riccia fluitans, water lettuce, water hyacinth, ricciocarpus natans, Ceratophyllum demersum AKA 'coontail' or 'hornwort', najas guadalupensis AKA 'guppy grass'. I think hygrophila difformis can grow floating.

marcusrose123

by marcusrose123

okay, ive just added a piece of cucumber.
is there any none floating plants that i could add since my tank needs some plants in it? or would i be better off adding fake plants?

letha

by letha

I'm all for live plants, they don't have all the bright colors of artifical?? plants. But, they do look so much better, plus you can get some that the fish like to munch on. I like that because as much as I try to change up on the food its still the same old thing. I don't like to eat the same thing everyday and most people like munchies, so why not fish.

Letha

marcusrose123

by marcusrose123

yeah i see what your saying, however it costs me loads and ive only just started work full time so dont have lots of money to spare :/ so live plants that wouldnt get eaten would be better

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I had anubias in a tank with a pleco. He left that alone. You can try feeding zucchini too.

marcusrose123

by marcusrose123

oh okay thanks for that might see if i can get hold of them of it for my tank then :) is there any more plants you know pleco`s wont eat?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I don't know for sure. You could try elodea (also called anacharis). It is usally pretty cheap, so if he does eat it, it won't be a huge loss.

Anubias by the way grows best attached to driftwood.

marcusrose123

by marcusrose123

yeah i will probs by 100 plants off of ebay for £20 so if they get eaten its no biggey, nd in that 100 there must be one kind that he doesnt like :) lol

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

"yeah i will probs by 100 plants off of ebay for £20 so if they get eaten its no biggey"
If you're going to do that, try finding a nearby aquatic plant nursery. Ordering from all one source will allow you to combine shipping. For example last year I got a good half dozen species and only paid less than ten dollars in shipping because I ordered them all from sweetaquatics.com. If you buy from one source you only have to pay shipping once.

Also, your pleco is not compatible with elodea densa. Try the ceratophyllum demersum and other floating plants I recommended.

plants

14 posts • Page 1 of 2