honey sunset gourami with dwarf gourami disease???

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Matt29

by Matt29

Hi, we had 3 honey sunset gouramis for about 6 months. All were doing well until about a month ago when the smaller 2 started losing their color. One went almost white and rested on the bottom of the tank with his head held upright all the time. He would swim around in weird fast bursts and then lay down at the bottom of the tank again. This went on for about 3 or 4 weeks and then it died yesterday. It definitely got skinny but seemed to eat at most feeding times. The other smaller one has gotten paler in color, but not white. He rests on the floor of the tank a lot but is upright. The big one seems fine.

I had been trying to figure out what is wrong with them but can't find anything except dwarf gourami disease. Can honey sunsets get this? The symptoms don't seem to match up with what I've read. Any help is appreciated.

PS All of our water levels are fine. Thanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

Re: honey sunset gourami with dwarf gourami disease???

by natalie265

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrate and nitrite? Sorry, a lot of folks say their water is fine when it really isn't.

Honey gouramis are supposed to be more resilient than dwarf gouramis. I'm not sure what dwarf gourami disease is, but losing color and becoming listless could be any number of things.

Matt29

by Matt29

Ammonia is zero.
Nitrate is 20 ppm.
Nitrite is zero.

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

Your water really is fine. It's got to be a contagious pathogen of some kind. Treat this tank as if there's something in it that can spread to other tanks.

4 posts