Smelly water

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

DanDman18

Smelly water

by DanDman18

In my 75 gallon baby cichlid tank, the water is usually fine, no smell, and all the levels are fine, but literally if I add 1, ONE, flake of tetra min to the tank, it reeks like a mixture of low-tide and the stingray exhibit at aquariums. It’s terrible, the stench travels all throughout my house and lasts for a few days, then it goes away completely, absolutely no smell whatsoever from the tank. I’ve done many water changes and other “remedies” but nothing seems to work. Do you guys have any idea what could cause the terrible odor?

yasherkoach

Re: Smelly water

by yasherkoach

Maybe if you change the type of flake...possibly something in the flake itself is chemically inter-mixing with other nutrients in the tank that is giving off the bad smell

it is best to use the highest protein or the best flake food you can purchase

OBSERVE how the fish eat the flake...if the fish eat it quickly, is there still smell? or is the flake lingering in the tank too long a time?

let us know how it goes...experiment a bit with the flake to find the source of the bad smell

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

Be careful what you feed African cichlids you DO NOT WANT TO FEED HIGH PROTIEN. It is not good for them it causes a disease called bloat. If and when you do feed them high protien meals you need to feed very little. It is very good for them to have cucumbers peas andbstuff instead of regular fish food once a day or every other.

Thanks
Andy

DanDman18

by DanDman18

Yasher, well i can't go higher with protein for the reason mcfaddy stated, and also, as i stated literllay if i put one flake in, the water smells, so its not that i am over feeding and the smell is the left over food decomposing. I have switched that tank to completly New Life Spectrum, vegies, and the occational bloodworms, i was just curious if: a- anyone else has had this problem, and b- what did you guys think could have caused it. But thatnks nonetheless for the responses.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well the alternative to new food is good...I take it the smell went away

as for the particular flake causing the smell, maybe some type of chemical the flake itself was made up of caused the smell...never heard of this before, possibly googling the issue may give better results

Smelly water

5 posts