replacing live rock and sand in an existing salt water tank.

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jlgladden1

by jlgladden1

i have had my tank for 6 years now and i am having an ongoing problem with my nitrate level.i also want to replace my existing live rock because it has been in the tank since the start and has lost its beauty. the only thing i know to do now is to remove the sand and rock to get the nitrate level back down to zero.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

dont remove your rocks. remove half of your sand at a time.half this month and half next month. do you test your water? how often do you do waterchanges?what chems do you add?

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Removing and replacing your live rock and sand will not solve your nitrate problems. I assume the nitrate level is pretty high, probably above 80-100ppm. Is that correct? Do you have any fishes or other livestock? That would be helpful to know.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

most likely the cause is over feeding,most foods are high in nitrogen,under skimming/filtering water. if you do not have enogh water current on the sand bed it will acumilate nutrients. that will cause nitrates to rise,algea growth and slow coral growth + old sand beds loose there ability to buffer the water. how is your ph?

FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

by FRMNUTN2SUMTN4672

yea, ive heard calcerous rocks and sand bands have a buffering capacity of 7.8 and reduce over a long period of time

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

sand beds break down fast but not as fast as crushed coral.

MAXETA

by MAXETA

HOW MANY FISH ARE YOU CURRENTLY STOCKING, DO YOU HAVE FILTRATION SYSTEM THAT CAN HANDLE THE AMOUNT OF NITRATE THAT IS BEING CREATED FROM YOUR STOCK. HOW OFTEN IS YOUR NITRATE TESTED. HOW MUCH WATER IS BEING CHANGED. DO NOT TAKE LIVE ROCK FROM YOUR TANK ASS WILL NOT HELP IN THE REDUCTION PROCESS, INSTED LOOK AT THE STOCK AND THE WAST PRODUCED FROM YOU LIVE STOCK. IF THIS IS THE PROBLEM, WITCH IT PROBABLY IS. TRY TO TO REDUCE YOUR STOCK TILL YOU CAN FIND A PROBABLE CAUSE FOR YOUR NITRATE. ALSO GRAVEL VACING CAN HELP, TRY TO TAKE ALL THE DETRITES OUT OF YOUR GRAVEL.

jlgladden1

by jlgladden1

i change/clean my tank once every two weeks removing and replacing 10 gallons.i test it a lot!

jlgladden1

by jlgladden1

it shows around forty to 80 when i test it. i have two fish that i have had for a long time. i also have a lot of hermit crabs.cucumber and two shrimp.

jlgladden1

by jlgladden1

my ph is reading normal.

14 posts • Page 1 of 2