Update and Thanks!! :)

20 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

momof4b

by momof4b

I am not sure... Up until the last water change, when I added the distilled water the pH was off the scale! Way over 10! Finally, it lowered! I haven't done anything to the tank since then... I am however getting ready to another water change and add my moss balls to the tank! I won't use the spring water again and I'll just use tap water from here on out! What would you consider the best water conditioner?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Well, that doesn't make sense. If your ph is 7.8 coming out of the tap, why would you get a reading of over ten in your tank? Not to mention that ten is off the charts. It would be unusual to get a reading above 8.5 or 9. Unless someone else can see something i'm not seeing, i'd say you got an inaccurate reading.

momof4b

by momof4b

I didn't understand it either... Still don't! But when I used regular tap water, I got readings of the charts! I used 3 gallons of distilled water... Probably twice and a couple times I used half tap and half tap.... Then last night I changed it and used the 3 gallons of spring water cause that is what I bought! I haven't checked the water today, but I'm guessing since the spring water tests exactly what I need that some of my levels have lowered! I'm not doing another thing to it until next week!

momof4b

by momof4b

I guess I should also say that I exaggerated a little on the 10 pH! I guess I wanted to stress how RED the strip was! Keep in mind a use the 5 in 1 test strips from walmart!

I just tested this morning... I just put 3 gallons of spring water in there last night!

Nitrate - 0-20
Nitrite - 10
Hardness- 75-150
Alkalinity - 80-120
pH - 7.2-7.8

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

Did you just run the ph tester under the tap or did you test the water after sitting in a cup for a day or two?
If I test my water right out of the tap I get a reading of 7.6 after its been sitting out in a trash can I get a reading of 8.8. So I looked it up on why and how to do a tap test and this is what I found a year or so ago. So I use a mix of the spring water with my tap water to get a lower reading.

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

How to Test Your Tap Water’s pH

Many hobbyists test their tap water right away for pH. However, this is not a good indication of your “true” pH. To properly measure your tap water’s pH, pour some tap water into a bucket and place an air stone in the bucket to agitate the surface (to oxygenate the water). Then let this bucket of water sit out for 24 hours. After this, test the water for its pH. It is then a good idea to check it after 48 hours to see if there is any additional change. These values measured after 24-48 hours are an accurate measure of the “true” pH of your tap water.

So, why do you have to leave the water out for 24-48 hours? Carbon dioxide in the water causes the pH to drop. By exposing your tap water to the air and agitating the surface, you are causing a gas exchange at the surface of the water (oxygen goes from the air to the water while carbon dioxide goes from the water to the air). This exchange reduces the amount of carbon dioxide in your water and causes the pH to rise. This pH will be the actual one you will measure in your tank (assuming there are no other objects/chemicals in the tank impacting the pH) as the oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange occurs in your aquarium constantly.

If you find that there is a major difference between the pH of your water right out of the tap and the pH of your water after 24-48 hours, the easiest way to do water changes and not stress your fish is to buy a bucket or two, fill them up with water, add an airstone to each, and let the water sit out for 24-48 hours. The pH will then be adjusted to its actual value and you can use the water for your water change.

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

How to Test Your Tap Water’s pH

Many hobbyists test their tap water right away for pH. However, this is not a good indication of your “true” pH. To properly measure your tap water’s pH, pour some tap water into a bucket and place an air stone in the bucket to agitate the surface (to oxygenate the water). Then let this bucket of water sit out for 24 hours. After this, test the water for its pH. It is then a good idea to check it after 48 hours to see if there is any additional change. These values measured after 24-48 hours are an accurate measure of the “true” pH of your tap water.

So, why do you have to leave the water out for 24-48 hours? Carbon dioxide in the water causes the pH to drop. By exposing your tap water to the air and agitating the surface, you are causing a gas exchange at the surface of the water (oxygen goes from the air to the water while carbon dioxide goes from the water to the air). This exchange reduces the amount of carbon dioxide in your water and causes the pH to rise. This pH will be the actual one you will measure in your tank (assuming there are no other objects/chemicals in the tank impacting the pH) as the oxygen/carbon dioxide exchange occurs in your aquarium constantly.

If you find that there is a major difference between the pH of your water right out of the tap and the pH of your water after 24-48 hours, the easiest way to do water changes and not stress your fish is to buy a bucket or two, fill them up with water, add an airstone to each, and let the water sit out for 24-48 hours. The pH will then be adjusted to its actual value and you can use the water for your water change.

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

So after I mix the spring and tap water and it sits out I get a reading of 8.2..
I like this reading much much better for my African Cichlids and they seem to enjoy it aswell.

momof4b

by momof4b

right out of the tap... ill set a glass of water out and test it in a couple days!

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

Read the post 3 posts up for directions you have to put an air stone in it. Just in case you didn't read r that part

Update and Thanks!! :)

20 posts • Page 2 of 2