I NEED HELP!!

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

momof4b

I NEED HELP!!

by momof4b

I set up my kids 10 gallon tank on Jan 1st... I had a fish tank (40 gallon hexagon tank) that was given to us by a family member, it had a black fin tetra, a (what I believe to be) glowlight tetra, and an algae eater... the tank was disgusting! The filter was for a 20 gallon tank, the tank was filthy, the parts were gross as well, just decided to buy a new one and start fresh! However, we are having just as bad of luck with this one!! I couldn't wait until the tank had cycled to put the fish in, they would have died in the other tank! I've been doing weekly water changes (anywhere from 20-40%), I have went to petsmart to get advice on how to keep the levels stable, the last time I went they suggested Prime, a double dose, and so I did just that... It wasn't days later and my tanks levels were all high again!!! Also, the water will be clear after I change the water, but will soon become hazy!! :( I don't know what I'm doing wrong that my tank just wont stay safe for these fish!! I want to get stable so I can at least add another tetra of each kind cause I know they like to be in schools however the tank is not big enough for a school of each breed so a pair is all I can swing... Please help me with any advice you can give!! :( I want to get this tank manageable!!

Thanks!!

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

What you're describing are problems that happen with new, unplanted aquariums. Plants eat ammonium, so if you add one or two or three aquatic plants to your tank, the instant they start growing the ammonia will go away. Provided, that is, that you have enough plant mass to eat all the fish waste.

My advice: Do a google image search for the term "Walstad aquarium".

Additional reading:
http://theaquariumwiki.com/Plants_and_B ... Filtration
Diana Walstad's book Ecology of the Planted Aquarium

Plants clean your tank for you. In the first chapters of Walstad's book, she claims not to have done a water change for two years or something ridiculous like that. At first I was like, "She is crazy/lying" but then I tried living plants and they really do keep your water clean. It makes life a lot easier. *nods*

Soil capped with two inches of sand, kitty litter, Fluorite(TM), EcoComplete(TM), all of these substrates work better than gravel to grow plants. I personally use kitty litter because unlike soil it needs no capping layer and unlike Fluorite(TM) it has a high CEC. More information: http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilize ... jamie.html

Planted tanks are easier than nonplanted because they require less water changes. The water is usually very clear. Plants can be trimmed and sold to make a small profit. And plants add color and dynamicism to the tank. Here is a link to the Aquatic Gardener's Association aquascaping contest: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2010/index0b.html

momof4b

by momof4b

So do I just plant the plants in the tank with the kitty litter? Do I feed the plants too??

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

You should have held onto the filter from the old tank. Even if it seemed disgusting, it probably had a good colony of beneficial bacteria to get the new tank up and running. In fact, you probably would have been better off giving the old tank a good cleaning and huge water change than dumping everyone in an even smaller, completely uncycled tank.

The levels of ammonia won't become manageable until your tank is fully cycled. You should not add new fish until that happens. Meanwhile, continue doing water changes as needed to keep the ammonia down.

If you go the kitty litter route, make sure it is non clumping, non fragrance litter...i don't know if that was clear. I would choose some easy to care for and fast growing plants like elodea, and duck weed, which don't require fertilization and will be best suited to eat up the ammonia and nitrates in your water.

momof4b

by momof4b

I think I still have the old filter and everything with the old tank outside... I did use a rock from that tank in the new tank! I guess I need help from the beginning so I don't mess this up.. I guess I'm going to have to invest in some real plants to put in my tank and also change from the gravel to the kitty litter! Now should I use my regular tap water with the conditioner or distilled water or half and half? I really want to set up a very pretty tank and become well educated on fish tanks because I would LOVE to have a big 55 gallon tank someday!! I like a colorful tank though.. and with all the planted tanks I've seen its really plain and just green and brown... Maybe there are some really pretty colorful fish! :) Any advice would be great.... I'd love to try this again! LOL

momof4b

by momof4b

Nope, I am wrong natalie, that was the problem from the get go... they did not have a proper filter in that tank when they gave it to us... and they had already tore it all apart when they brought the tank to our house! The fish were just sitting in a bowl of water! The only thing that I used was that rock from their tank! There was like a pouch, something like a filter, that they had stuck in their filter because they couldn't afford an actual filter, I didn't even think about sticking that in my tank!

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

Lol I use womens panty hose to make my own filter

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Even a makeshift filter (panty hose?) would have had beneficial bacteria growing on it. But if it has dried up, or been exposed to extreme temperatures, it is too late. Any bacteria you might have transfered over on the rock would probably be insignificant. I've addressed the issue of water on your other post, but let me reiterate. Test your tap water first. Unless there is a problem there, i would advise against using RO or distilled water at this point.

Yes, there are some amazing freshwater fish, and beautiful plants if you decide to go that route.

I NEED HELP!!

8 posts