just so everyone knows

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

mcfaddy212000

just so everyone knows

by mcfaddy212000

Going from freshwater (9years) to saltwater is awesomeness (6 years) and now back to freshwater kinda sucks. I love my tank and all bit its nothing like saltwater. I think I'm going to have to fill my need soon once again.

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

Sorry had to fix my errors
Going from freshwater (9years) to saltwater is awesomeness (6 years) and now back to freshwater (1 year) kinda sucks. I love my tank and all but its nothing like saltwater. I think I'm going to have to fill my need soon once again.
f059a-IMAG0264.jpg

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

I'm kinda the opposite; freshwater has the plant species I love, and which in my opinion the saltwater macroalgae just can't hold a candle to. Have you seen the Aquatic Gardener's Association Aquascaping Contest entries? They're so beautiful. Freshwater can be great, too :)

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

I haven't seen that where do I find it?

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

Here is the link to the 2010 entries. If you mouse over 'View Entries' it'll give you tank size categories to choose from. http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2010/
There is an 'Other Years' button too.

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

Thanks ill check it out, I'm hoping to put a pond in this summer so maybe that will fill in my need for a year or so. Then my wife wants to put in a reef tank and help me with it and I couldn't believe she said that, ive been trying to figure out for a couple weeks now how I was going to tell her I needed or wanted another tank for saltwater. Lol

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

Lol about the saltwater tank.
Yeah, take a look at the pictures. There are some fantastic, colorful tanks. Here's a direct link to the 'large tanks' section: http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2010/index0c.html

For your pond, maybe you might want to consider plants native to your area. That way if they escape they won't invade the local ecosystem. Also, the native plants do well with your max and min temperatures while exotics might not overwinter successfully.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I agree w/okiimiru about planted tanks. If you're bored with freshwater and want more of a challenge without going marine, try a planted tank! A nice planted tank is just as beautiful as a good reef tank, imo, and can be quite challenging.

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

I was thinking about doing that with my planted refugium 29 gallon, I kinda just threw a bunch of plants in it. There is also a bunch of feeder shrimp ( ghost shrimp) and drift wood in it, maybe ill make something with it. Then start a pond this summer to make the outside look a bit better. Then start a reef tank. There is something about saltwater that I don't know what it is that just does it for me, that fresh won't do and that's why I have that need feeling. I just can't figure it out.

Okiimiru,
Thanks for sharing that site with me it is stunning. :)

dream2reef

by dream2reef

I agree okii I went to that site and left for awhile came back my girlfriend had actually been on the site the whole time (1.5 hrs.) Think I know what she's gonna wanna schedule as the next project.

I breed guppy's super easy obviously but how bout the shrimp? Are they hard to breed or just toss in a bunch and let em go? I'd love to raise them too!

just so everyone knows

13 posts • Page 1 of 2