Baby Hybrid Cichlids

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

DanDman18

Baby Hybrid Cichlids

by DanDman18

In my aquarium my fish are constently laying eggs, and i try my best to help them survive, ie tumbling. However, i have noticed the emergance of hybrids. I now have some great looking yellow labs as well as psuedotropheous soccofili, as well as hybrids of the two. I think they are kind of cool looking due to the blue and yellow bodies and black fins, however i don't have the space to keep all of them. I am trying to sell the pure-breds to some stores, but i don't want to give them the hybrids in order to keep preserve pure-bred cichlids, not hybrids. What do you guys think i should do, i don't have the space for them, i don't think i should give them away, but i also don't want to kill them, any ideas?
bf4d9-DSCN3093.jpg

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Why don't you want to give them away? Seems the only other option is buy another tank.

Alasse

by Alasse

Rehome the pures.

You can try to private rehome the hybrids, or if you cant keep them the only other option is to cull them

DanDman18

by DanDman18

I don't want to give them away because i don't want to spread hybrid genes into the hobby.

Alasse

by Alasse

As long as the person taking them is responsible selling them a hybrid shouldnt be a problem.

I personally have no problems with hybrids. As long as long as people are told it IS a hybrid and is unsuitable to breed from.

DanDman18

by DanDman18

That would work however none of this fish stores around me know anything about african cichlids, and probably don't know what an "african" cichlid even is. (tanks are marked as cichlids with all kinds in them), so i guess until i find a good store i will hold onto them.

Alasse

by Alasse

As i said above try finding a private buyer rather than a store

DanDman18

by DanDman18

How?

Alasse

by Alasse

Well gee...

You have the internet obviously - craigslist, Facebook groups, well its endless what can be done there
Local newspapers
Local messageboards

There are lots of ways...not hard

I cnt see where your country would be any different to ours in that respect.

DanDman18

by DanDman18

I think its only different because most people around here don't like any special fish, most people have some mollies or tetras, only one of the 4 fish stores near me sells african cichlids becuase i ask them to, so most people around me don't know of african cichlids. I will just another tank to keep them, easier.

Baby Hybrid Cichlids

10 posts