[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
NO NEED TO WATER CHANGE EVER AGAIN (pg. 2) - RateMyFishTank.com

NO NEED TO WATER CHANGE EVER AGAIN

21 posts • Page 2 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Alasse

by Alasse

Your adding 2 gallons of fresh water to a tank that has evaporated water out, notice i said evaporated WATER. The nasties are still in there, they do NOT evaporate out.

If ya read what i stated Yasher....i dont do waterchanges until around the 8-12 weeks stage, so 6 weeks is nothing. Plants are great at keeping things nice for longer. I do not leave my unplanted tanks longer than 8 weeks, or i will get problems, there is nothing to neutralise the nitrate

"but we are somehow forgetting a very basic fact on fish keeping: if ammonia, nitrite are 0, and nitrate remains 40 ppm and under, isn't this all that matters to have a healthy tank?"

Errrr there is more to a tank than ammonia, nitrate and nitrite, as i also stated in my posts (obviously you have your man eyes in today *L*) Just because Stats are within range does not mean the tank is necessarily healthy thats for sure. Electrolytes, etc are other things needed to be in good levels for the tank to be healthy

I'll think about it *LOL* But i dont think i'm gonna need to worry about it.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Ha ha, well at least you said kiss your cheek and not kiss your ***. But i agree with alasse on this one. I think the fact that your ammonia, nitrate and nitrite are at acceptable levels speaks well of your fish keeping talent, but there is more to water quality than just that.
Fish are extremely resilient and adaptable. So if your fish are still surviving after a year, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are thriving. But i will be surprised if there are no obvious ill effects at a years time. And i will give you a virtual kiss on the cheek if i am wrong. But i'm not going to stop doing water changes.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

like I said, we make our own choices with the tanks...I respect yours

a virtual kiss will be gladly appreciated (((smiles)))

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Simply amazing yasher! I've been following your threads for a while. It's very impressive what you have done to create such a natural atmosphere! Keep up the great work and keep us updated!!!!!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

thanks much esparzar...definitely will keep you guys updated

yasherkoach

Re: NO NEED TO WATER CHANGE EVER AGAIN

by yasherkoach

For starters, you need to read the entire post under the heading: No Water Change In Six Months that I wrote. Actually it's 16 months since the last water change.

But what you people fail to realize, the tank automatically evaporates its waters, so I place in chemical-free water in the tank each week, approximately 3-4 gallons of fresh new water. If you add that up, it amounts to about 36 to 48 gallons a year. In the 55 gallon tank, the tank recycles itself naturally once (at least) fully each year. Because the tank is open at the top (or no fluorescent instead only natural sunlight) the water evaporates, and I find during the winter, when the heater is raised, the water evaporates even more so.

So the tank does recycle itself naturally.

As for current, I do have two bubble disks in the tank which provide plenty current for the stream/river fish in the tank; second, the bubbles that explode at the top or on the water surface provide plenty oxygen.

Lately, now that I have had the tank for nearly 5 years now, and I observe the inhabitants to the point that I know when there is a problem - and by the way, I have not had a fish death in 17 weeks; the last fish death was caused by the redtail shark irritating one of the zebra danios - so I have cut back on the liquid tests for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to every 6 weeks to 2 months. The last time I tested - I keep a daily log on the tank - January 27, 2013, temperature: 78-82, ammonia: 0; nitrite: 0; and nitrate: 20. The testings are well within normal.

So your assumption without actual experience in this type of natural ecosystem is ill-founded. To call it "nonsense" is absurd without actual experience in this type of ecosystem. In fact, anyone who believes what I have been doing is stupid or morally wrong, those ideas or judgments are ill-founded for they are not based on actual experience.

As I asked once before on this web site and another one - I have yet to have anyone explain otherwise - if we use liquid test kits to test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, and our tests show the tank is registering normally, then the liquid tests were accurate or just fine and dandy. On the other hand, when I use the same liquid tests, I obtain the same normal results, but because I have an all natural ecosystem, something is wrong with the tank.....I have yet to have someone make heads or tails out of this paradox. In my humble opinion, it is simply a matter of ego....I AM RIGHT!

benfoster1977

by benfoster1977

Your wrong. how do you know exactly why your fish died. did it tell you it was getting stressed by someone else? if you did water changes, maybe the fish could deal with the additional stress the other fish are putting on it.
You say you havent lost a fish in 17 weeks... is that good? I have a saltwater tank. 12 fish, including multiple dwarfs and tangs. I havent lost a fish in over 2 years. Why? water changes.
to say it can be done, is one thing. you can marry your sister. it can be done, but should you?

kbakken

by kbakken

I agree with no water changes. I have a beautiful 75gal freshwater tank and have never done a water change since I set the tank up a year ago. I do add around 7 to 9 gal of water weekly due to the water evaporation. My fish are healthy and active.

I do add good bacteria to the tank every 8 wks and add chlorine/ammonia killer when adding the water replacement wkly is all. I have always believed if the tank is well balanced with bacteria, fish, bottom feeders etc the tank can pretty much maintain itself.

Did the same time years ago with a 150 and 75 gal.

kate_kuhli

by kate_kuhli

I haven't finished reading the thread yet but I'm just not comfortable with the idea of never doing water changes. I've heard of people not doing a water change for a month or two (usually people with densely planted tanks and low stock) but not ever doing water changes....even if you're replacing a few gallons a week and therefore all the water volume is essentially replaced every year, that's still a long time for the fish to be in the same water.

I would've thought there were more bad things that could be in the water than just the usual few things that are tested for but I haven't looked into it, nor do I have experience of maintaining a tank without water changes, so... just my two cents.

jaspergeli

Re: I believe in you, we have the same choice!

by jaspergeli

NO NEED TO WATER CHANGE EVER AGAIN

21 posts • Page 2 of 3