Cloudy Water

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

bjluca

Cloudy Water

by bjluca

I have a cichild tank with an argonite based substrate (sand). My tank continually gets cloudy. After each water change it is typically crystal clear for less than a week. I use a good bit of Seachem's Clarity (only because I hate the murky look and cannot do water changes weekly). Initially I had Marineland's 350 Power Filter. After recommendations, I purchased Marineland's 350 Canister filter thinking it may fix the problem. No changes or improvements have occurred. On a sidenote for anyone who has the 350 Canister, that "water polishing additive" does absolutely nothing for my tank. My question is, if I take the current substrate out and switch it with crushed coral will the murky problem improve or be fixed?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I don't think the substrate is the problem. Unless the sand is being stirred up, i don't see why it would contribute to a murky tank. People have crystal clear tanks with sandy substrates. I've even seen a very nice mud tank with perfectly clear water. Have you tested your tank water recently? Sometimes high nitrates can cause a bacteria bloom that causes the water to look cloudy.

bjluca

by bjluca

I test the Nitrates and they were very low. Ammonia tests were normal as well as ph, kh, and gh. Have you ever heard of adding certain rocks to your tank being a problem?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Well, i've heard that some rocks can leach calcium and such into your tank. Never heard of them making the water cloudy though. How long has this tank been up and running? Have you tried filtering through carbon?

bjluca

by bjluca

Tank has been up and running for almost a year. I will say the tank was never as murky before I added the sand with the existing gravel. What do you mean by filtering through the carbon?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Carbon is a pretty common filter medium that you can buy from almost any pet store. You could add some to your canister filter. I don't use it myself, but it is said to give your water an extra nice polish. If it IS the sand substrate that is causing the problem, carbon won't help that.

Cloudy Water

6 posts