Types of fish food

14 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Just on a side note, pellets, wafers, and even flake food can become "stale". If you've kept your food for some time or even if its just been sitting on your LFS shelf for a few years it'll take a long time to soften when placed in water. I doubt places like Petco/smart use their staff to frequently check dates either. lol Sometimes this will lead to your fish spitting it out or just ignoring it altogether. I accidentally poked a hole in a bag of frozen bloodworms breaking chunks of them up which led to freezerburn...my puffer refused to eat from that bag unless he was really hungry. Immediately after giving him some of the fresh bag there was no hesitation to munch away.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

yeah i have been using granules... when my angels think its too tough, they suck it in, spit it out, then suck it in, then spit it out, then suck it in after softening it up a bit.... most granules they eat on the first go around, but they have wisened up to the method. And they only do this if they are hungry, so i keep them hungry... if they are fat and full they spit it out and let it settle to the floor and wait for a juicier tidbit.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I really like freeze dried krill for most of my big fish. The krill is hard to swallow without a bit of gumming and softening and it's not very dense, so my fish can eat as much as they want without over stuffing themselves. I used to use Hikari carnivore sticks and these are the opposite. They're very dense and swell up in my fish's stomachs allowing them to get too full.

Krill is very nutritious too, and it's vitamin enriched. Even my pleco loves it.

josmoloco

by josmoloco

I feed chopped worms to my peacock eel and the rest of my fish get a mixture of

hikari cichlid pelets
tetra color granuals
wardley flake
wardley algae pelets
aquarian bottom feeder pelets
live/dead insects
mosquito larva
guppies
and worms