Gravel vac question

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Natural_mama4

Gravel vac question

by Natural_mama4

I've been trying to research more on keeping fish and I came across something about gravel vacuuming. The directions on my package said to stick it down in the gravel to get up everything, I've also read online to do this. I've also read that sticking it in the gravel disrupts the bacteria balance and will lead to nitrite (I believe) spikes, so you should just run it along the bottom or gently rake the gravel with the vac. What is the correct or best way to use a gravel vac?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Stick it down in the gravel. Any negative impact it might have on your bacteria is going to be far outweighed by the amount of toxic stuff that will build up if you aren't thoroughly cleaning the gravel. That's my opinion.

neontank

by neontank

yes i agree with natalie ive been using my gravel vac like that for ages and have never had any negative affects

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I never vacuum...but that's just me

as for your question, only go down about an inch into the gravel as not to disturb the good bacteria

Alasse

by Alasse

I'm a bit like yasher, only 1 tank i do heavy gravel cleans on (the oscars, cause they are massive filthy eaters), all the rest are left alone, or top gravel cleans only. Food should not be getting right down into the bottom layer of the gravel anyway.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Well, i don't gravel vac most of my tanks either, lol, but do as i say, not as i do. Planted tanks are a different story. You wouldn't want to vacuum a planted tank for obvious reasons. But i still recommend that a beginner vacuum their gravel unless their tank is heavily planted.

Alasse

by Alasse

What i actually stated was there is no need to go full depth gravel clean, unless you have fish that are EXCEPTIONALLY dirty. I have Oscars, they are notoriously filthy eaters. Goldies would be another fish i would do full depth cleans.

As you say heavily planted tanks dont need gravel cleaning ever in most cases

Lightly planted, non planted need something, hence my comment (light gravel cleans)

Natural_mama4

by Natural_mama4

Thanks everyone. I'll go with the light gravel cleaning, not going all the way to the bottom.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

very good mama4

Gravel vac question

9 posts