planing to make chichlid[4in mumber] tank

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

tekneb

by tekneb

Soooo I told you something was a bad idea, and you went and did it anyway. Your words say thank you, your actions say otherwise buddy. You want advice go ask the guy who told you a 3-1 female-male ratio.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Ok wish I'd got here earlier. Sorry. Ratio one inch per gallon leaves you 20 inches of fully grown fish. Now really all that would happen is your fish lifespan is shortened. You can always replace cichlids. They are pretty common. 3 females to one male is a generalization given to accommodate the immense testosterone in them and even out the aggression. All cichlids are very territorial. As for your labs they are pretty mild. They are fun to watch as well as beautiful. I have one in a tank with several others and they hold there own but don't start many quarrels. Just make sure you have plenty of hiding places for them. If you introduce any new fish down the road rearrange the tank and everyone gets to find new homes together. These fish are easier and hardier then any tetra guppy or whatever. They like a high ph around 8.2 but they can adapt to anything like any fish. Just another life span shortening. Change over to cichlid sand or crushed coral to keep it up there if you want. I hope I didn't over load you. Surprised yasher or alasse never chimed in here. Fast thread I guess. white convicts only get around 4" or so. The Labs really only get around 6" or so. That would be your limit once fully grown and in need of a bigger tank. Congrats on the upgrade. I've been asked several times if my tank was saltwater the fish are so beautiful and vibrant. Feed them the best food you can get at your LFS and you won't be sorry. Look for food high in spirulina. Like spirulina brine shrime spirulina soft pellets or look on the back and make sure it's high in the ingredients list. Any other questions I'll try to answer or look up. You make me want to breed labs now It was my first cichlid I bought and still have 9 months ago already. Good luck!

His names peanut lol I'm so gay.
39948-lab orange 001.jpg

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Oh yea and they like heat around 82 if you want to see some action crank the heat up around 86 or 88 they get real active then.

swapnil

by swapnil

@dream2reef- hey tnx alot.. really very useful information u gave me ... tnx. and i m glad that i m the reason u want 2 breed labs again :) ha ha.. nd ur lab is beautiful..
well right now i will buy 2 yellow labs nd 2 white ones..will buy white FW sand.. lotsa stones to creat hiding places.. later i can always get bigger tank.. and i hope i will get the food which u mentioned in india!! newys.. tnx ...

dream2reef

by dream2reef

If you have a card online you can buy from anywhere shipped to anywhere I'm sure. You're welcome for the info. I love cichlids and now have 4 females holding eggs I hope you get a sex match trade babies for supplies. Try for some pictures too.

esk98

by esk98

he is right if you turn the heat up the fish will get more active,they will eat more and then get better color
54d0a-DSC01780.JPG

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Yea it's amazing how much heat affects things.

planing to make chichlid[4in mumber] tank

17 posts • Page 2 of 2